OCR Parents Thread

The Legendary Zoltan

I'm looking at the papers that the doctor that delivered my daughter gave us about children and media. It says that letting children under two years old watch any kind of digital media could result in slowed development of the brain and taking longer to learn how to speak. The reason for this is because it's important for children to have interaction (like with their parents). Television does not give this to children because they just passively sit there and receive stimulation.

In summary, it doesn't matter what the content of the program is. Children should not watch TV until they can talk. Instead children should lick things, knock over towers of blocks, roll balls around, throw (safe) things, and flip things over. This is all information I received from a professional. This thread would be much more beneficial to all of us if everyone stopped posting their opinions of what they think is appropriate for children, and limited themselves to PROFESSIONAL ADVICE and PERSONAL EXPERIENCES as I requested in the first post of this thread.

It is not difficult, even in this modern world, to completely prevent your children from watching digital media. Just leave the TV off. I play games when my daughter sleeps. It's not a hard transition to make.