*NO* Mega Man & Bass + Mega Man 10 'Stone Cold Metal'

Chimpazilla

Link: It's hosted here on my soundcloud.

Contact Information

ectogemia

Nathan Becker

soundcloud.com/ectogemia

Submission Information

Mega Man & Bass, Mega Man 10

Stone Cold Metal

'Cold Man' (MM&B) + 'Enker's Theme' (MM10)

Additional information about game including composer, system, etc. (if it has not yet been added to the site)

Some of the first music I really got into was metal, so I've always wanted to tackle a metal tune. The thing is, I suck at playing guitar these days. So the next best thing is to sequence SNES guitar, right? Says so right here in my black leather, chain-bound Metal Bible on page 666 (which is coincidentally every page in the book). This arrangement was written for the 2nd round of the most recent WCRG and then remastered after Black Friday showered upon me its blessings of super-cheap, pro-quality mixing plugins. Thanks for the one day of reasonable prices, corporate overlords!

Cold Man: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jdTmmnii94

Enker's Theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxpGwlfZct4

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• 3 weeks later...

First off, source use is obviously there, nice blending of the sources, source aplenty.

Interesting concept, metal made from SNES samples. I'm not sure it is working here. The timbres sound harsh and dry. I hear some delay but it still sounds dry. Everything is played staccato style for the most part, and the mix is overly bright, feels hyped in the mids and mid-highs. From 1:59 to 2:21 the soundscape is packed solid with too many sounds all with busy writing. That background arp is cool but I find it repetitive as it is used for a good portion of the track. There isn't a lot of dynamic range in the track and I find this mix fatiguing to listen to. Sorry Nathan, your arrangement and writing are great, lots of fun details, but I just think the instrumentation isn't getting the job done the way it should. Maybe if it were mixed differently? I'm super curious to hear what others think.

NO (resubmit)

Edited by Chimpazilla

• 2 weeks later...

An interesting take on these original sources. SNES rock is certainly a challenging genre. With the kinds of sounds involved, it can get awfully busy quickly and hard to manage.

Here in this mix things aren't too bad at the start as far as arrangement goes, but as Kristina has mentioned, your track does tend to get a little too thick in places, particularly when you have the SNES guitar and lead/apprego plucking off against each other (like at 1:13 for example, then more so at 1:58 ). These sections while cool tend to be a bit too busy to appreciate whats going on. I think there are a couple solutions to this: peel back a layer or two OR mix some of the elements that aren't important in those sections to a lower volume so the main instruments can be heard clearer.

Things are a little dry in this mix too, but adding some reverb may add to the above problem and make things harder to make out. You could possibly utilise some reverb that is side-chained to the main master volume to make the reverb decrease the louder the entire mix gets (or you could simply go the automation route).

I also found some of your mids/highs to be too powerful. Not overwhelming, but I think they could be pulled back a bit. I'd like to see that if doing a resub.

Please consider the above points. This mix is very interesting, I just think it needs some work to make stuff clearer.

NO (please resub)

Edited by Jivemaster

I actually think the synth guitar as a concept is working as a stylistic choice, but the mixing is missing a huge chunk of the low end, and the highs and upper mids are overhyped. THe mixing needs another pass, and i think some panning and compression to even things out afterwards should be good. I like the arrangement, and the throwback sound is cool, but a bit more production polish is definitely needed.

No, please resubmit