*NO* Crystalis 'Between Here and Then'

djpretzel

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/crystals.zip - Track 20

Thanks for providing a source MIDI as well. While the arrangement didn't sound like a MIDI-rip, the sound quality was hovering at that level.

Didn't like how the piano was panned hard left for the intro. Be merciful to my ear(s). Sample quality on the piano at :09 was uh...not that good. Heard a bunch of light clicks and pops during the run from :16-:37, then a bunch of individual notes cutting out with no release from :38-:42. Man, everything is so fake and plainly exposed. There's no care put into the details.

Some synth harmonizes a bit with the piano at :46, but the track just sounded barren. This section here has basically 3 instruments working in tandem, but all of them are very thin & artificial sounding and don't fill out the soundfield.

The arrangement ideas try to be interpretive, but the execution is just hollow and ugly-sounding. 1:56 builds back to a retread of the run at :16, with the same clicks, pops and flubbed releases as last time around. Why end it on that note???

Wish I could be more supportive of this one, but I wasn't feeling it. Keep at it with the WIP forum, but you gotta tackle that ReMixing forum and learn how to flesh out your current sounds to maximize the quality. The soundfield needs more depth, so think about what you can do to not only bolden your existing parts, but create additional ones for more depth and complexity.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

Great soundtrack selection. Crystalis is one of the most underrated ones and I wish more people would mix from this soundtrack. Unfortunately, you chose a bland source, but that's beside the point. ;)

The panning is indeed extreme and very wide. In many orchestral set-ups pianos are at the extreme sides so I'm willing to let that issue slide. Personally I prefer my pianos closer to center unless it's burried in a large mix. When there's not much going on, on headphones the extreme nature of the panning can be difficult to listen to.

There is indeed a lot of crackling in the 20-30 second range, but it's fairly subtle on my side and not a dealbreaker. This would need to be addressed in my opinion.

I like the arrangement concept and ideas, but I felt the ideas were underdeveloped. The orchestration and instrumentation didn't help either. It's very thin and sparse sounding. The melody line with the piano up top is so thin and plinky sounding. I would double that an octave lower to at least give it a little depth or use another sample. The supporting instrumentation and harmonies are in general very thin as well, aside when the piano left hand comes into play.

The piano performance is also very robotic. I would work on making it sound less midi-like by making the timing of the notes a little more loose and free-flowing. At least edit the notes by mouse if that's possible to make it less perfect. Also this could do with more velocity tweaking in that regard, to give it more depth as well.

Production in general is bland. This needs better samples or production work (better reverb design and eqing) to make these sounds shine.

Above average with potential, but at this point, it just falls far short in both the arrangement and production categories. Keep it up there's promise here, I'd like to hear more. It's a NO though.

Link wasn't working, so I used the judge ftp thingy.

This has some potential, but I think the production really lets this one down. The instruments used don't really do it justice and it sounds very muddy at times. The panning it quite extreme and I don't think it works with this piece, I couldn't really see a reason for it. In addition, the arrangement could have been taken somewhat further. This just needs more work in all aspects.

NO