*NO* Uncharted 'Nate's Theme (Altered Serenity Mix)'

Chimpazilla

Hi,

Here is my first contribution to OC Remix, and a tribute to one of the best games ever.

Your ReMixer name: Altered Serenity

Your real name: Danniel Menot

Your email address:

Your website: www.AlteredSerenity.com

Your userid: 52991

Name of game(s) arranged: Uncharted

Name of arrangement: Nate's Theme (Altered Serenity Remix)

Name of individual song(s) arranged: Nate's Theme

Comment:

In my spare time I produce Trance for labels such as Future Sound of Sweden, however video games has always been close to my heart when growing up.

Therefore I decided to do my first video game remix, and Uncharted has some beautiful compositions.

So, yesterday evening I started this little piece which was finished today.

It can also be found here:

Regards

Danniel

-------------------------------------------------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFeBVoEeIwM

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

This is a nice start, but gosh it is short. Two minutes is barely enough time to develop your ideas, and the ending is abrupt. Source is readily apparent, no problem there. The track is drowning in reverb, and there is a resonance that appears several times throughout the track: 0:12, 0:36, 0:50, 1:40, 1:48. If that sound is intentional, I think it doesn't sound very good.

I like the piano playing and the ideas generally. I'm not sure the drums are fitting in style-wise as well as they should, giving them a "pasted on top" feel against the emotive piano. Piano sounds a bit mechanical (could use more humanization) but still nice, string backing sounds good.

So I recommend you address these areas: lower the reverb on pretty much everything, check into those resonances and remove them, expand the arrangement somewhat, and find a way to make your drum writing fit in better with the mood of the piece.

NO (resubmit)

Most of your non-percussive sounds are falling into a muddy midrange wash. The upfront dryness of the drums clashes with the foggy backing elements.

The arrangement is passable though very conservative. Like Kris said, it's a combination of the washed out production and the jarring percussion track that takes this one down.

NO

• 3 weeks later...

Washed out is right. Wow. There also seems to be no bassline to speak of.

Love the source tune and the genre adaptation idea isn't bad, but this thing is drowning in reverb and the arrangement is just way too conservative.

Needs to go back to the drawing board I think. Clearer soundscape and a more personalized take on the source.

NO