OCR03086 - *YES* Dark Souls 'The Fall of Artorias'

Palpable

ReMixer - RoeTaKa

Name - Alex Roe

UserID - 9374

Games Arranged - Dark Souls

Arrangement Name - The Fall of Artorias

Songs Arranged - Moonlight Butterfly, Knight Artorias, Sif the Great Gret Wolf, Nameless Song

(on the OST, Moonlight Butterfly is titled 'Seath the Scaleless' and Sif is titled 'Gwynevere, Princess of Sunlight' for some reason. Knight Artorias is not on the official OST as it was part of the DLC 'Artorias of the Abyss'. Just thought I'd note that, youtubing the songs won't be confusing)

Game info -

Dark Souls

Composers - Motoi Sakuraba

Systems - Playstation 3, Xbox 360, PC

Comments:

Sources:

0:00 - 0:50 = Moonlight Butterfly

0:50 - 1:36 = Knight Artorias

1:43 - 2:30 = Sif, the Great Grey Wolf

2:40 - 3:20 = Knight Artorias

3:27 - 3:48 = Sif, the Great Grey Wolf

4:30 - 5:12 = Nameless Song

This arrangement is about the great Artorias and his companion Sif who journey to the Abyss, and inevitably Artorias is consumed by it. I had some ideas about a story but I wanted it to be a bit vague like the game itself, something for you to imagine.

Moonlight Butterfly

Dark Knight Artorias

Great Grey Wolf Sif

Nameless Song Edited by Clem

Alex did a great job stringing the separate sources into one cohesive piece, and I thought the production was more than solid. With orchestral pieces that aren't as melody-focused, I have a hard time picking out the source. Can someone confirm that the source usage is ok? Dark Knight Artorias was easy to hear, and I caught parts of the other songs, but wanted to double-check that we're above 50% overall (or close to it).

• 1 month later...

Love it. The melding of themes works very well. I enjoyed the narrative. You've done good work with these samples. There is a great sense of space & fullness + subtlety in articulation throughout. Source use checks out. The only one I couldn't hear was 3:27 - 3:48, but even without it the track is well above 50%.

YES

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, I'm hearing a good amount of source myself. I definitely think this one is good to go. Love that Alex kept the overall ominous tone of the originals here; really suits the pieces well. Alex also did a great job making this come together without being noticably medley-itis. To me, those are the best medleys! Production is solid, with a lot of nice layering between strings and choir elements and piano. Nice work!

YES

• 2 weeks later...

Alex has combined the sources into a very cohesive piece that definitely conveys a story. I have to agree that the samples are used quite well. My only gripe would be during 1:14 to 1:37, and again from 3:00 to 3:20, the attack of the high strings is slow, and possibly adding in one extra articulation (so that not all the attacks are the same) could have made those sections sound a bit more real, but I'm nitpicking (and I know what a pain it is to layer articulations).

It's moody, dark, and mixed well, and I like it!

YES