Is there a program like Noteworthy Composer that...

doesn't suck?

I need an external midi program based around sheet music layout that isn't gonna be so limited. I am addicted to the speed of the hotkey interface with NWC... and if there was a version with customizable hotkeys that'd be even better... but I'm done with the 10-save demo version and I'm not payin $39 for the full.

It needs lyrical control, print options, great copy/paste control... and ideally... it'd be free and/or open source.

Anyone got any recommendations?

I can't even find the ease of note entry that NWC has in EXPENSIVE notators like Finale or Sibelius, much less the cheaper ones.

In terms of free or OSS notators, I have yet to find anything worth using. I've seen a couple, but their entry is very clunky and the printed music looks like crap.

I've given up and am looking for a sequener with step entry (why are these hard to find?).

Finale's free product is pretty good; I found it to be at least as good as Noteworthy Composer. For around $60 CDN though, you can get Finale PrintMusic. I used it for transposition and writing/arranging more reed parts in a university production of Footloose this past year, and it was a huge timesaver. I recommend it highly over Noteworthy Composer, despite having used NWC for about 8 years previously.