Crono and Marle's First Date

TASTE MY ROCK AND ROLL. Millenial fair with a touch of the town theme and the overworld from chrono cross. Should finish the arranging and mixing within a few days, will post updates.

https://soundcloud.com/christophercollins-3/chrono-trigger-crono-and-marles-first-date-millenial-fair-punk-rock

Submitting to OCR so let me know what you think so far. I played everything using gratuitous takes and heavy editing on the drums.

Edited by Michael_Lochlann
KAZE NO UPDATEO BLADEO

My only complaints come in the form of mixing.

The bass is hollow and muffled sounding. Give it some more low end and take away some of the lower mids and give it a little more top. As cliche and dumb as this sounds I really want that snare to sound almost 80s over the top, gated reverb included! Well okay maybe not that much 80s, but I think perhaps a little bit more over the top than you have it. Also, with the drums they're just kind of not powerful at all. I really want them to be more upfront and in your face. They sound okay, but they just lack any real power. Another thing is your guitars are pretty much straight mono. You've got a whole stereo spread to play with. I mean I think they're a bit dull, but that is really personal preference more than anything. Finally, that "hooo" in the middle of the track really needs to be spruced up. Got to make the mix interesting to listen to.

Digging the composition though. Lots of fun. Great playing throughout and I really liked the addition of the choir/pad at the end. Nice touch.

Oh more punk? Should have said that in the first post!

In that case you'll want to lofi the drums. LPF, Limiting, etc . . . the works. The bass you'll probably want to make it more "nosey" if that makes any sense. Still give it some more low end but then right around 1-3KHz bring it out more. Watch the 200-800Hz range when you do this though as it could become boomy. The guitars still play around with hard panning though.

Punk may be off the cuff, but you can still make it use the stereo spread if you kind of abuse it.

Alright home fries

https://soundcloud.com/christophercollins-3/chrono-trigger-crono-and-marles-first-date-millenial-fair-punk-rock

stuff I done did

0) reference against Marvelous 3. the first mix was done without reference and i got close but not quite pro enough to hack it without a/b'ing.

1) turned up eq boosts on kick and snare and OH/turned up drum bus and OH

2) Uh...took the Mono plugin I copied off my left guitar track off my guitar bus....presto, stereo...durrr. i also added a bit of room verb to it just to help

3) brightened up the guitars a lot

4) added more bass to the bass guitar. it's probably a little boomy but i am over this track right now.

5) mastered.

digging the feel and vibe man! chunky rhythm guitars and thick palm mutes. definitely transforms my image of crono into a g with an indifferent rockstar attitude. i can see him sporting cliff burton's torn jean jacket as well (rest in peace).

your treatment of the b-section at 2:46 is anthemic.

would really like to hear this with you taking a few bars to rip a solo.

Hey dude, thanks for all the feedback you've been doling out on the workshop forums! I checked out your soundcloud and you've got a lot of really cool, diverse pieces in there. Hoping to hear a lot more from you in the future! What DAW are you using to produce?

Overall this feels about 95% there, in my opinion. Mixing is sounding beefy and genre-appropriate (as far as I can tell - I'm not listening on my judging headphones at the moment) and your guitar tone kicks. Great rhythm guitars and drumwork, no complaints there.

The only real issue I have is with the leads, I feel like you held back on that aspect of the track. 2:46 - 3:33 is one place that jumps out at me as needing some additional melodic flair on the lead guitar. You had some cool stuff going on for the first part of the song, but it feels like you missed an opportunity to get a bit wild and interpretive with the source material during this section.

The ending also came just a bit abruptly for my tastes, I think if you were to submit this, getting a cleaner fade to let everything decay naturally would be awesome.

Love what you've got regardless of the critiques, but I feel like you could have pushed this just a bit further to make that last section more awesome!

Ooh a judge! Yeah I already submitted it but I'll think about doing something a bit more solo-ey.

I'm using Studio One DAW with mostly waves plugins, guitar tone from Poulin Ampsim with a bit of sim tubescreamer and Recabinet+redwirez IR for the cabinet, and Amplitube ampeg + recabinet + redwires ampeg for the bass, playing a digital set (heavily edited) through steven slate drums, i also use a lot of the Angry Metal Kid plugin which is where you listen to metal for 15 years of life and then get pissed off by everyone you know.

Thanks for checkin out my shiz and thanks for the great feedback.

Ok last post of this I SWEAR!!!!

https://soundcloud.com/christophercollins-3/chrono-trigger-crono-and-marles-first-date-millenial-fair-punk-rock-12-26-14

1) did some more soloey type shit at the end while keeping the original melody as much as I could because Mitsuda > Me

2) hooked Ye Olde Sub Woof up and fixed some heavyhanded EQ'ing on the bass and kick after hearing it in my Bassmobile