Your ReMixer name : RJ remixes

Your real name : Jonathan Lemethy

Your email address :

Your website : www.soundcloud.com/rjremixes

Your userid : 51359

Submission Information

Name of game(s) arranged : Journey to Silius

Name of arrangement : Final Journey

Name of individual song(s) arranged : Stage 2 (Underground Concourse)

Additional information: Nintendo Entertainment System Composer: Naoki Kodaka

Journey to Silius, known in Japan as [rʌf] World (ラフワールド, Rafu Wārudo?),[2] is a 1990 side-scrolling run and gun video game developed by Tokai Engineering and published by Sunsoft and Mattel for the Nintendo Entertainment System. The game was released in Europe and Australia in 1990, in Japan on August 10, 1990 and in North America in September of 1990

Link to the original soundtrack:

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

This mix has a lot going for it, some interesting ideas and good sounds. It can't pass because it has way too much repetition, multiple sections of 100% copy pasta. I think it's a good start though, it has a good spacey feel to it. It is just too simplistic and needs some more development in terms of writing, and some instrument changes would also help as the piece moves along. There is a little faux-guitar motif that I don't think is working, melodically (and it repeats several times). Some of your melodic interpretation starting at 3:12 is... not quite working, it feels awkward and forced. Also, the transitions into and out of the minimal breakdown sections are awkward. I hope you'll give this another go, it has promise. (oh and the track seems to be cut off at the end, if this is the actual ending, it is too abrupt)

NO (resubmit)

• 1 month later...

I hate to be so blunt, but I found the sound design on this to be boring. All of the sound choices here feel bland and uninspired - there's nothing really unique drawing me to this arrangement. It's also hampered by the fact that your arrangement repeats itself frequently and there's very little variation in the way of sound choice, beats, or melody.

Not sure what else to say, I think you have the skills to put together a competently arranged song but I would strongly suggest experimenting with more interesting sounds and changeups to make your arrangements sound more fresh and personalized.

NO

Good points already brought up in this thread.

This really feels like it gets stuck in second gear throughout the track. There's a good deal of repetition throughout, with subsequent iterations of the melody line being joined by an extra hihat hit or a doubling of the melody line with a guitar synth. In general, this needs more development and possibly some trimming as well given the song length.

Sound choices are a mixed bag for me. I'm not quite as put off as Emu on the sound choices, but I do feel like certain elements aren't working here. The chip lead feels out of place in the context and doesn't have enough power to carry the melody lines in the genre context IMO. Hihat pattern is really robotic and sounds low quality/lossy. Core beat work sounds pretty strong in general, though it could use a lot more variation. Guitar lead sounds a bit weird with the vibrato and doesn't really cut through the mix as it should (lacking upper-end eq).

As mentioned by Kristina, beyond the repetativeness this does sound pretty empty and could use some supporting parts & writing to flesh out the track.

Good start, but needs quite a bit more development and production love.

NO resubmit, please