*NO* Super Metroid 'Maridian Meltdown'

Chimpazilla

remikser: Nase

game: Super Metroid

remix title: Maridian Meltdown

arranged track: Upper Maridia

Hi.

This one was done for the meat n potatoes thingy, and it shows at the start. felt like just using the metroid samples and some fx for a while and just paying tribute. maybe some sections are too verbatim, but idk, i neither view it as a cover nor a sound upgrade despite a lot of the notation itself being close.

recorded some kitchen/power tools stuff for this, was fun.

cheers!

------------------------

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

This track appears to be nearly a midi-rip sound-upgrade up until 1:55. I layered the remix with the original and found almost no writing difference other than a slightly faster tempo. After 1:55 though, things get really interesting, fun sfx and percussion, lots of varied timbres, it really gets quite creative after 1:55. Awesome sfx, little funky bits, brass stuff, string stabs, varied groovy percussion, cool stuff! Then at 4:00 however, the arrangement slows down to such a crawl... WOW it is slow all the way until the end at 6:25. That's 2:25-worth of outro.

Blarg. This track does a lot right, and a lot wrong. The first 1:55 is dealbreakingly close to source, it's verbatim with new instruments. Sadly this blows it right there. 1:55-4:00 is super, SUPER cool. 4:00-6:25 is a long slog to the end. I'd love to hear this again with the first 1:55 differentiated from the source more, and with the outro starting at 4:00 cut by at least half if not more.

NO (resubmit)

This is exactly the kind of quirky, unpredictable shit I've come to expect from Nase. I really love the unbridled creativity that manifests itself between 1:30 and 4:00 - like Chimpazilla, I think that's where this mix really shines.

By casual listening standards, the intro works fine for me, but I agree that it becomes a dealbreaker when held to OCR standards. I actually really like how it stays relatively calm and restrained for the first few minutes - when you finally bust into a dance groove, the contrast between the intro and the meat of the remix is really cool. However, I think you can retain that feel and also personalize that section a little bit more, composition-wise.

The outro seems to go on for about 1:30 longer than I'd like it to, as well. Right around the 5 minute mark seems like a natural place to fade the track out and honestly, I don't feel like the remainder of the piece contributes anything that the previous minute of ambient breakdown didn't already cover. Sorry if that sounds harsh but I sort of clocked out of this mix around 5:00 :-\

I love the ideas you have going on here, but there's some fat that needs trimming. Really hope to see this one again dude.

NO (resubmit!!)

I'm very close to the same mind as Kristina on this one. I wasn't quite as sold as Emu on the production for the first 1:55 or so. The general track sounded empty with pretty basic-sounding synth tones.

2:08 until the outro is so freaking cool, BTW

Man, it's odd to have this unbalanced of a track. The intro isn't up to standards in arrangement or production (IMO), but a couple minutes in everything suddenly clicks in such a good way.

Not gonna disagree that it did sound like it could have wrapped up nicely around the 5 minute mark. It's not that an extended, cool-down type ending can't work, but I think it would really need a big build-up leading into it, and then give the extended chillout to help the listener come down from the top. That's really not what this track is about though, so you're probably better off trimming things down a bit.

Man I really hope this comes back.

NO resubmit, (not please, just do it :))