*NO* Mario Strikers Charged 'Ball of Steel'

Chimpazilla

Hello OCR joojs! Hope you're all doing well! :)

Note: This remix is part of the "Untitled 2014 FIFA EP" made by Ivan Hakštok for OCR.

Contact Information

Chernabogue

Alexandre Mourey

fflproduction.fr

Submission Information

Mario Strickers Charged (Football)

"Ball of Steel"

"Road to the Stricker Cup": YouTube Link

Composers (from Mario Wiki): Mike Peacoc, Darren Radtk, Chad York

System: Nintendo Wii

Though I'm not a fan of sports/soccer games, I played a lot of MSCF with my friends. We love this game (and we love destroying other teams with Bowser). This EP was the opportunity to pay tribute to a game I love, and to a music I really think is under-appreciated. I planned to mix brass that sound epic/encouraging with electro elements, and I think it works quite well. Enjoy the FIFA 2014 EP, it was a really interesting idea, and I'm glad I could contribute! :D

Link to the ReMix:

Hope everything's okay with my submission! Cheers!

---------------------------------------------------------

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

Oh my. Interesting and bold ideas here, mixing synth timbres and electronic drums with sampled brass. Unfortunately the brass is falling completely flat here with zero realism. It will take quite a bit of articulation layering to get those brass lines sounding anywhere near real, I'm afraid. It's a huge pain in the ass, I know. But what's here just isn't doing it.

The drums are on autopilot and not very interesting. There are long stretches in this remix with whole notes one after the other, like 0:48-1:12, and 1:36-2:24 where there isn't much of interest going on. At 2:00 an arp pattern starts up that isn't mixed very well or this just isn't a good timbre.

Sorry to come down so hard on this track but I think there's a ton more work needed to get it passable.

NO

Some nice ideas in this mix. Your source is upfront and noticeable. I think the arrangement across the track could do with being a little more interesting as far as changes and different elements coming in/out, however for me the majority of the problems sit with the mixing and instrumentation.

My thoughts:

-Definitely in the same camp as my main gal Chimpz. The brass is definitely letting down this mix. While not very realistic, the main issue is it's very loud and overpowering to the other elements, and some notes during the theme sound out of tune (or at least clashy with other notes).

-The bass is squelchy and kind of evolving which is nice, but has a bit too much high end bite which is clashing with your other elements. Some EQ and/or a LPF will help tame this. I also noticed it sounded a bit "farty" in places, easing back of the resonance should solve that.

-The apprego starting at 2:00 sounds a little hollow sonically, and becomes inaudible as more elements come in. Perhaps peel some of the layers back or alter the patch to give it more body and stand out more. I'd also be great if the notes there varied a little more.

-Drums could do with some work to make them less loop like, adding in some extra fills here and there would be the ticket.

Definitely a good start, the concepts are there but we need to refine the parts to make them sit better together.

NO

Edited by Jivemaster

Gotta co-sign with the above J's. The brass parts specifically feel like a big step back from the realism of the original. The note changes are awkward as the samples can't hold up to it. I should add that this is extremely hard to do

As Kristina mentioned, there's not much going on in sections like :42 except whole notes, which ends up feeling somewhat pointless/undeveloped. 2:48 is another example of a similar issue.

Some odd note choices in the counter lead starting at 1:48 that sounded like it was in a different key. This whole section is really throwing me off as the arrangement feels like it's plodding at this point and doesn't really grab me back until the beat kicks into double time again.

Ending is a bit abrupt and didn't sound like much effort was put into it. I think this would've been better served with something a little more climactic or at least with a bit more finality to it.

As mentioned, I think this one would have a ways to go to reach the bar. That said, you've obviously shown promise here and with other mixes, so I know you're up to the challenge. :)

NO resubmit, please