Remixer name: Starfighter

Email address:

Name of game arranged: Mario kart 64

Name of arrangement: Road to rainbows

Name of songs arranged: Rainbow road

---------------------------------------------------------

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

Very nice start here, good sounds used. The mix almost has a Deadmau5 feel as it opens up. I like the use of the vocal clips, they are well done. The beat is very generic and needs more variation though, this drags the mix down. The lead that begins at 0:53 is very quiet and underwhelming.

The arrangement is much too similar to the source writing all the way through, despite the addition of a soft breakdown to break up the dynamics, the writing is the same as the source. This is a dealbreaker. I do think that with some really good drum variation, more exciting lead sounds, and most importantly some variations on the theme, this could work, it has promise.

NO (resubmit)

• 3 weeks later...

I really like the concept of this track. Definitely also hearing the Deadmau5 vibe here. Mainly co-signing with Kristina's vote here on repetativeness and needing more development. The guitar lead is super quiet and isn't cutting through to what it should be.

I'll add that overall the mix feels a bit "dark" overall, as many of the lead and backing elements are lacking in mid-high/high range eq presence. I feel like the whole track could use a moderate volume boost.

Cool ideas, keep working on it :)

NO resubmit, please

Good sound design, you have some decent build-up techniques, fitting for the genre.

Your arrangement definitely needs work. You have some nice ideas here but you need to explore the source tune further and make it your own. Things are repeated too much across the track, especially the drum pattern. Consider playing around with some of the notes, and drop in some more original elements.

I also felt the production side needed work. Things felt a bit mushed together and weren't breathing apart dynamically as much as they could. I'm not sure if this is your master bus comp/limiter at play or each channel is just compressed strongly, but I felt each element was sharing too much space with its neighbours.

Things also felt a little bassy. I'm not sure if this because the bass is mostly sub, but consider a HPF or low end EQ on the elements which don't need as much low end (like the synth accompaniment that plays throughout most of the track).

This has promise, but there's some more work to be done.

NO