FFVII Crisis Core "The Price Of Freedom" [REMIX]

bwmusic

This is a remix of the FFVII Crisis Core song "The Price of Freedom" I made waayyyy back in 2011. Yeah, it was kinda lost in my backup harddrives and it took me a while to find it again.

Free download link is given in the description. https://soundcloud.com/bluewolfie/ffvii-the-price-of-freedom-remix

I kept the basic chord progression the same but changed around the melody here and there. I guess it kinda has an ethnic feel to it with the plucked instruments and strings.

I guess my mixing kinda sucked back then. Listening to it now, it sounds a bit overcompressed, probably a bit too sharp in the high end and muddy in the low end..

But anyway, Let me know your thoughts and I hope ya'll enjoy it as it was an awesome song and was great fun to remix it! :mrgreen:

Edited by bwmusic

Like Kirby, I'm a big fan of the source tune. It is the FFVII universe after all.

Since you made this 4 years ago, take what I say with a grain of salt, as I'm sure your skills have improved by a large margin by now.

I agree with Kirby in that you need to work on adding a bit of life into the instruments, especially the orchestral ones. They sound too sampled and quantized so you should humanize them and add some nice 3-5 second quality reverb to give the individual notes a more graceful attack and release instead of the dry cutoff. Just remember to filter out the low frequencies from the reverb if you do that or it'll add mud to the mix.

The piano needs some humanizing as well as the notes always play exactly on beat with the drums. This would be ok if it was EDM, but since it's going for that live instrument feel, humanization is necessary on all fronts.

It definitely needs a bit more EQ work too for both cleanup and to add focus to the instruments of choice, but I like the arrangement and how it progresses. If you still have the project file, I'd definitely try to improve and salvage it. Worth the effort since this has nice ideas going on.

Like Kirby, I'm a big fan of the source tune. It is the FFVII universe after all.

Since you made this 4 years ago, take what I say with a grain of salt, as I'm sure your skills have improved by a large margin by now.

I agree with Kirby in that you need to work on adding a bit of life into the instruments, especially the orchestral ones. They sound too sampled and quantized so you should humanize them and add some nice 3-5 second quality reverb to give the individual notes a more graceful attack and release instead of the dry cutoff. Just remember to filter out the low frequencies from the reverb if you do that or it'll add mud to the mix.

The piano needs some humanizing as well as the notes always play exactly on beat with the drums. This would be ok if it was EDM, but since it's going for that live instrument feel, humanization is necessary on all fronts.

It definitely needs a bit more EQ work too for both cleanup and to add focus to the instruments of choice, but I like the arrangement and how it progresses. If you still have the project file, I'd definitely try to improve and salvage it. Worth the effort since this has nice ideas going on.

Yeah I've definitely been trying to humanize my compositions more. But even so, if an instrument doesn't have round robins, its difficult to humanise it just by adjusting the velocities. I've heard theres a trick to making your own round robins using kontakt player by slightly detuning the samples, but I haven't got around to exploring that yet.

But thanks for the advice regarding the mixing, I'll see if I can salvage the old project file...

Cool. If you do salvage it, I'd love to hear how it turned out.

As far as the humanizing issue, remember that it doesn't just consist of velocity values, it also consists of note length and the note's starting position. If all your notes (in a non-EDM setting) start exactly on beat every single time, it'll drain life from the song. So randomize within human parameters the velocities as well as the starting position of the notes by a few ticks. This technique also has the nice side effect of reducing strain on your processor if you're running heavy samples since all the notes aren't happening at exactly the same time. Gives a few tiny milliseconds for an obviously linear processing circuit (single core process for the most part) to finish its job in sequence instead of crunching all at once. I do it with my EastWest samples and it works wonders on my processing issues since EW has massive samples.

And no problem on the mixing. I still have much to learn myself, but I'm glad to help where I feel confident in my current knowledge.

I had no idea you could create your own RRs with Kontakt. If that's true, I'd love to learn about it. I have Kontakt, but I use Logic's EXS24 more than anything else for sampling. Gets the job done and has clean sound reproduction from the source file (unlike Ultrabeat which colors samples quite a bit).

Edited by djgalvanization