Mega Man X: Flame Mammoth - Guitar Medley [REMIX/COVER]

JeffKekenj

This is utterly tight. Excellent ax work and the Doubler/Harmonizer/double tracking is nice and thick.

The only two things that jump out to me right away, and I don't know the source material so others will have to comment on that, is the repetition in the kick and snare runs and the dynamics. The k/s work, but they plod along a bit as well. Some variance in the arrangement of those two throughout the piece would relax the tension there, make things feel more loose. This isn't so much a critique of humanization either, just the actual patterns could use some variation.

Regarding the dynamics, the track is tight and moves well, but the energy level is fairly similar throughout. The guitar arrangement is stellar! It's just that the overall dynamics are pretty mild. I know this is more foregone in metal then in other genres, but there is definitely a bit of room to allow the mix to breathe.

Awesome work man!

This is utterly tight. Excellent ax work and the Doubler/Harmonizer/double tracking is nice and thick.

The only two things that jump out to me right away, and I don't know the source material so others will have to comment on that, is the repetition in the kick and snare runs and the dynamics. The k/s work, but they plod along a bit as well. Some variance in the arrangement of those two throughout the piece would relax the tension there, make things feel more loose. This isn't so much a critique of humanization either, just the actual patterns could use some variation.

Regarding the dynamics, the track is tight and moves well, but the energy level is fairly similar throughout. The guitar arrangement is stellar! It's just that the overall dynamics are pretty mild. I know this is more foregone in metal then in other genres, but there is definitely a bit of room to allow the mix to breathe.

Awesome work man!

I considered that for the drum track, in fact I just ended up basing it off an existing midi file I found. Drum programming is something I should really work on though, since its crucial for stuff like this. Also, the general consensus (me included) is that the mix is too busy and suffers from too much going on. Unfortunately I have all these ideas in my head that I want to add as layers, and sometimes less is more when mixing.

I will continue to layer my leads however, since that's mostly gotten a positive response, with the exception of one user who said my vibrato had issues (but I really didn't understand what he was getting at).

Anyways, Thanks!