I must remix. Help direct me please!

Hi, everyone!

I'm new to remixing, and any sort of arranging, and I need several sorts of answers, from the experienced.

First, computers:

What is the most powerful/most encompasing program for doing arrangements? I'm pretty sure it's either Cakewalk or Cubase, but I'm foolishly going by price.

Then music:

What has been the most helpful thing in your live/career as far as learning musical skills and such? I find myself still as tonedeaf as your average joe when it comes to songs, which is sad, because I love music so much, and I would hate myself if I never learned how to create.

So far, I play guitar, and I know chords and notes, and I'm learning scales, but I don't know how much of my guitar mastery will translate into universal music skills.

Also, I've obtained copies of The Perfect Pitch Supercourse and The Relative Pitch Supercourse. How relevant do you think these would be?

In any case, aside from the software-oriented question, I really need to know where I should be looking to get a hand on all of this stuff. I really want to create music, but I'm so far off it's almost frightening.

Thank you so much for your time!

Hi, everyone!

I'm new to remixing, and any sort of arranging, and I need several sorts of answers, from the experienced.

Your first hint is Read all the friggin stickied threads here.

First, computers:

What is the most powerful/most encompasing program for doing arrangements?

There is no single program; there is also no single purpose. It depends on what you use (software synths, hardware synths, both, mostly audio clips) and what you can afford. Then the most powerful program is that one which does what you need and which allows you to work with it in the most fluent way.

I'm pretty sure it's either Cakewalk or Cubase

Ever heard of Logic and ProTools? Good, Logic won't be of use if you don't have a Mac.

but I'm foolishly going by price.

Yeah, that's never a good idea.

Then music:

What has been the most helpful thing in your live/career as far as learning musical skills and such?

Curiosity and a desire to learn.

So far, I play guitar, and I know chords and notes, and I'm learning scales, but I don't know how much of my guitar mastery will translate into universal music skills.

Can you hear if you play out of tune? Good. That's what you're going to need.

Thank you so much for your time!

Okay, here's what you do. If you want to take the software route, do the following:

- install the ASIO4ALL driver if you don't have any fancy audio interface yet. It'll make things less frustrating. What it does: if you play a sound in one of the programs, there's usually a delay between pressing the key and hearing the sound. This is called latency. The ASIO4ALL drivers make this delay smaller so playing feels more natural. www.asio4all.com

- obtain trial versions of all programs you know of. Propellerheads Reason. Steinberg Cubase. ImagineLine FL Studio. Sonar. Cakewalk. Ableton Live. Mackie Tracktion.

Check them out one by one and see what you can do with them. Try to make a little song in them, see which allows you to do the job the fastest. It doesn't matter if it doesn't sound good or pro yet- this is purely a matter of getting an idea to paper.

Once you've decided which program works for you, start looking into

- an audio interface (you have a guitar. To not throw that sound and skill away means you could record it and use it in your music). This will also lower your latency even further.

- a controller (this is basically a "dummy" synthesizer without built-in sounds, but which has a lot of knobs and sliders that will come in handy). This means you don't have to click in the chords with a mouse.

- a set of speakers or headphones (but I'd recommend speakers) that are better than your average cheap-ass computer speaker set. Speakers: depends on budget. Headphones: AKG K240, Sony MDR7506. Look here: http://www.ocremix.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=74141

- the program itself. Buy it. You sometimes can get a student discount which is really nice.

Now, you also are going to need some theory under your belt. Pick up a basic book about playing piano. Learn how guitar chords translate to a piano keyboard, because that's what you're going to use to enter the notes.

There's more than that, but it depends on budget and how deep you want to go. Read the stickies, try out what you already can try out, then return.

So you bitch at him for being a whore and not reading the stickies, yet you go on to help him anyway?

Everyone bitches to everyone who posts a "HAY GUYS HOW DO I REMIX" to read the stickies. It's an initiation ceremony of sorts, and it separates the men from the boys.

To keep in line with the drugs reference, the first shot/snort is always free.

Then music:

What has been the most helpful thing in your live/career as far as learning musical skills and such?

Practice, practice, practice, and more practice. There is no other way, or at least none that is nearly as effective.

One thing to do while you're practicing that I find helps a lot is improvisation. You'll suck at improvising at first, but keep at it; it's a good way to solidify your musical knowledge, and to see what works and what doesn't.

Some knowledge of music theory is helpful, but not required; I personally am completely self-taught, and have never taken any manner of music-related classes (excluding the half-hour a week of music that most elementary schools seem to have).

So you bitch at him for being a whore and not reading the stickies, yet you go on to help him anyway?

Everyone bitches to everyone who posts a "HAY GUYS HOW DO I REMIX" to read the stickies. It's an initiation ceremony of sorts, and it separates the men from the boys.

To keep in line with the drugs reference, the first shot/snort is always free.

Touche pussycat!