Chrono Trigger - Corridors of Time

traceon

I actually agree with the guy saying the panning is quite intense. I think it's too wide for headphones. Try to shoot for a range of 60% L/R max in this case.

This is an interesting take. I think this is saturated in sub bass, though (especially 1:24 and on), but sparse in the bass above 60 Hz (that is, 60~200 Hz), and 1:58 - 2:01 sounds overcompressed. The major issue with this is it either sounds overcompressed or clipping, or both when you have all that sub bass going on, and it sounds incredibly boomy as well. Also, the lead at 1:23 - 1:56 could use more expression; it sounds like a generic

-or-something lead to me, and screams of cheese.

The complete stop at 2:37 just sounded like an abrupt ending. I think it needs something to add a tail to it before you lead back into the main motif. If I wasn't looking at my screen, I would think the song ended abruptly. Furthermore, 3:03 as an ending... was just sparse, and doesn't really resolve.

Overall, you have some good ideas here, but it feels incomplete in arrangement, saturated in subs, and lacking in bass. You should consider checking the mixdown on a system other than what you typically use. Not everyone has sub woofers, or wants to use them in their neighborhood. And definitely flesh out the ending more.

Edited by timaeus222

timaeus, when you are talking about a generic, cheesy hardstyle lead are you talking about the general midi sound (called brightness on the soundset i'm using) or the squareish wave behind it?

- thanks so much for the mixing advice, as this is an area i am lacking in (as you could probably tell!)

-I'll get to working on it as soon as possible!

I really REALLY like this mix of yours man i think you should count it as done definately! love the bass,the main chorus is beautifully done im not sure what else to say just get it on the site and lemme download it NAO!

sorry man, will have it up for a download as soon as it is properly done!

timaeus, when you are talking about a generic, cheesy hardstyle lead are you talking about the general midi sound (called brightness on the soundset i'm using) or the squareish wave behind it?

- thanks so much for the mixing advice, as this is an area i am lacking in (as you could probably tell!)

-I'll get to working on it as soon as possible!

You know how you can put vibrato on a lead sound and increase the vibrato speed to a really high amount? That's the sound. It seems like the sound in front of the square-ish wave.