Liontamer

Yah. Another mix. Woo. Nitty-gritty garbage:

-Xenon Odyssey

-Bobby Keller

-xenonodyssey22@netscape.com -OR- xenonodyssey@hotmail.com

-I ain't got one

-The Legend of Zelda - Oracle of Seasons

-Level 4 - Dancing Dragon Dungeon

-System: Game Boy Color - Composer: Koji Kondo I'm supposing...I can't find anything otherwise and I'm too lazy to get my cartridge and beat the game again this very moment.

-http://www.zophar.net/gbs/zeldaoos.zip (Track 21)

-Uh, let's see...well, way back in the day (aka sometime in 2002 when I discovered the site), I made a list of songs that I eventually wanted to arrange myself. This was on that list, as well as being one of my favorite video game tunes (dispite it's simplicity). So, I decided to proceed and arrange it. And that I did. It's a ternary form, laid-back piece. I think the B section is more original work, but I did add the original theme of Zelda in there, so I think it works.

And since I entered it in the May Dwelling of Duels competition, I'll link from there (meaning the tags will be completely wrong, oops):

But then again, a host with bad tags is better than a bad host with the proper tags.

My sax was in tune this time. :P Made sure of that!

-Xenon

• 2 weeks later...

The sax recording sounds pretty good to me. Unfortunately a lot of the backing parts arent as solid. for instance, halfway through when the sax plays the main zelda theme, the chorus is repeating those four chords..sounds good independantly, but the zelda theme doesnt really fit well over them. In other places the rhythm section seems very repetitive, and at best doesnt elaborate over the course of the mix.

good stuff so far, but make more of a dynamic curve.

NO

http://www.zophar.net/gbs/zeldaoos.zip - Tracks 21 & 1

Nice source tune. Cool intro idea, but then OOOOH some bad vibes 'n shit at :24; very low quality. Supporting instrumentation is definitely weak here. The instrument combinations for some parts really don't sound good together; the drums sound way too busy for something like this piece, and the snappy tone on them doesn't fit here at all. Sax recording doesn't sound as sharp as it could be, and the performance needs to be smoother; keep practicing of course. Then you also have these parts where you have lower-sounding vox and strings mingling with high-pitched syrupy xylo-type stuff, and it just clashes badly.

Cool shit from 1:31-2:08. Wish the piano didn't sound so fake there in the back, but it's not too exposed. These were much better instrumental combinations here. Liking the bassline, which may have been too subtle but could stay as is. BOO on 2:08 as a transition. Anytime you have that in there, scrap it and use something else that doesn't sound so MIDI-grade.

Vigilante's right in that the Zelda theme at 2:30 absolutely doesn't fit over those chords as is. That's where this little thing called "interpretation" comes in. Please use some and modify the theme (if you're gonna keep the theme in here) so that the melody and background piece together nicely. Again, the sax performance sounds rough. Tacky as hell cymbal shots at 3:08 and 3:10.

Weird note change in the vox at 3:23 (and 4:40...and 4:42), sounding totally awkward and egregiously exposing the sample.

3:47-4:49, same exact problems as :48-1:30 only lots of lame cymbal shots thrown in there as well. The texture here was just not working. The framework here is in place, but the devil's in the details. Attention to detail is sorely lacking, and your material's always gonna sound rough like this if you can't get a better ear for how all of the sounds here interact with one another. Good stuff at your current level, but if you improved a lot over the course of, say, 1 year, you'd be amazed at how much you'd find wrong with it looking back on it.

NO

• 4 weeks later...

I think we just recently evaluated a remix of this same theme in a similar style. Huh. Well, the sources are cool, so no harm done. :)

I agree with Larry that the vibes (as well as the bass note) at :24 sound off. The percussive pattern introduced there is also pretty thin and doesn't add a whole lot. When the sax comes in it sounds a bit off rhythm to me, and the drumkit that comes in accompanying it is very 'damp' and difficult to hear. It seems like the harmony parts you have (eg. the piano and the strings) are voiced too low, which is adding to some of the muddiness of the mix. I do, however, echo Larry's sentiment on the 1:31-2:08 material. Very cool interpretation in that section. However, the chords you have under the main zelda theme sound no good. You gotta rewrite that. Skipping to the last section of the piece, I would like to say that I think you could have been more creative than just repeating earlier motifs a few times with slightly different instrumentation. The ending is rather abrupt too.

I could go on with more specifics but I think Larry covered basically all of them. To outline the main problems: the sax performance isn't as tight as it could be, the production is muddy at times, some of the transitions sound off, parts of the arrangement don't sound right (bad harmonies), and some of the instruments used are very lo-fi. Start looking at these things and you will be on the right track for a resubmit.

NO