Delphino Plaza Disco Remix

Remixhttps://soundcloud.com/killing-pepsi/delphino-plaza-remix-whip-1

Original:

Any and all criticism welcome!

Notes: -Around 53s in, will tweak bass sound (might remove altogether) ; it sounded empty in this section so I wanted something to very temporarily fill the hole

- There is more coming at  the end, a sort of outro vamp that isn't finished yet

• 2 months later...

Oof, I am not liking most of these samples in the first 30 seconds.  The kick drum is fair, but the clap feels generic with the reverb not aiding much, the bass and synths feel like lazy presets.  Nothing much is really happening either.

:30+ it starts to pick up a bit.  The synth slides are nice, the little spice at :40~ and :45~ are nice, but it still feels weak in energy.  Any snare in this section is barely audible, there's no strong presence in the groove, and the overall sound is kinda cheesy.  The added samples of Yoshi and Mario seem slightly out of place and add nothing to the mix.

The transition @ :52~ is way too abrupt.  This section feels very plodding, it's not developing into anything, it's not adding anything.

Finished listening to the rest of this and... I dunno what to tell you.  The cheesy synths, the lack of development and direction.  Maybe work on smaller projects?  Focus more on one aspect of the music production or composing process?  Listen to something professional written and produce and just try to mimic their writing or production?

Oof, I am not liking most of these samples in the first 30 seconds.  The kick drum is fair, but the clap feels generic with the reverb not aiding much, the bass and synths feel like lazy presets.  Nothing much is really happening either.

:30+ it starts to pick up a bit.  The synth slides are nice, the little spice at :40~ and :45~ are nice, but it still feels weak in energy.  Any snare in this section is barely audible, there's no strong presence in the groove, and the overall sound is kinda cheesy.  The added samples of Yoshi and Mario seem slightly out of place and add nothing to the mix.

The transition @ :52~ is way too abrupt.  This section feels very plodding, it's not developing into anything, it's not adding anything.

Finished listening to the rest of this and... I dunno what to tell you.  The cheesy synths, the lack of development and direction.  Maybe work on smaller projects?  Focus more on one aspect of the music production or composing process?  Listen to something professional written and produce and just try to mimic their writing or production?

Agreed with all the crits above. Everything is bare bones - most of the synths sound pretty vanilla, and most of the arrangement seems to be meandering without any sort of musical purpose.

Think of a mix like a story. It needs a good intro, climax, variation, and texture to be strong. Otherwise the finished product is grating or boring. Add more elements like arps, pads, countermelodies, etc. to add a richness to your music, or it'll sound bare bones. Work on creating a structure to your mix so that transitions seem logical from a musical perspective.  Experiment with synth creation to create unique sounds that don't remind me of vanilla synth1 presets. 

Thank you both for the feedback.

I'm feeling both of you on this one, I think I need to take a step back and work on something simpler, and study how to make my remixes more musical. That is definitely a problem I have, getting lost in the mix and going off on tangents. I will get back sometime in the future and come back with a more presentable product!