Sherman Park / River City Ransom Cover

Hey all, this is my first post on the OC forums! A few years back I produced a remix of the Sherman Park theme in the NES game River City Ransom. I am coming into some free time this summer and was looking to take it out of the closet and do some more work on the track.

https://soundcloud.com/patrick-clayton-working/sherman-park-incomplete

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAIcDkgCsWw

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

The strings sound a little static and repetetive for me from the start until they cut out and the electric guitar comes in. I really like the bass and guitar. They sound nice and organic and sit well in the track. The square synths are bit more tulmutious to me though. As compared to the other subdued instruments they sound kind of out of place. They could fit, but I would get some automation as far as volume or cutoff; they just need a bit of livening up. The drums, mixing wise, are nice. Toms may have a bit too much reverb for my tastes, but the biggest problem with them for me was the lack of articulation. Overall, I like the mix, but (especially towards the end) you start to rely on patterns a bit too much. Repeating the same musical idea a lot can work, but you need variation, whether its in chord structure or in the melody, it just gets tiring to hear the same 2 measures over and over.

It was a fun listen, and I hope you work on it somemore, I'd love to hear the progress you make! ;-)