Final Fantasy VII - Stargazing (Cosmo Canyon)

NPC #23

Been working on this remix for the last few weeks in between contract jobs. It's still pretty choppy (I can't get the first crash transition to settle down for the life of me) and unmastered, but it's got all the elements I'm looking to add.

https://soundcloud.com/npc-23/stargazing-cosmo-canyon-remix-rough-cut/s-VtRQ1

Any feedback would be awesome. I'm pretty new to the OCRemix community so I wanna make my first submission as good as possible.

edit:

https://soundcloud.com/npc-23/stargazing-final-fantasy-vii-remixnew version. Mostly just eq work and sidechaining to help the claps and kick drum stand out in the mix.

edit 2:

https://soundcloud.com/npc-23/stargazing-cosmo-canyon-remix/s-M0UEr

Added some more intro effects, brought the sub out a bit more, added more width to the claps. 

A fellow Ohioan eh? Well I can always make sometime to share my unprofessional, unsubstantiated and generally flawed criticism! Love the chippy synth at :36, but they're kind of drowning out the drums and the claps? I think the drums and clap are the best, but near :50 they seems like they're push to the background too much. I'm not sure...I love everything else, just the drums need to be boosted and maybe turn down some of the other instruments? This is WIP so I can tell these are things you're probably already working on! Seriously, I really don't know how to make music so everything with heaping amounts of salt, but trust me if you stay on the ball in the workshop, you'll get some better feedback in no time flat! Stay on it man!

I really don't know how to make music so everything with heaping amounts of salt, but trust me if you stay on the ball in the workshop, you'll get some better feedback in no time flat! Stay on it man!

Hey man you still make music so that counts.

But yeah the drums haven't exactly been mixed in yet. I have some sidechains for the kick drum (so the low end isn't a total mess) but I haven't set up and dialed in all the sidechains for the claps. I usually save that tedium for the end when I'm doing final mixdown and mastering.

Thanks for the feedback dude.

Wasn't expecting that! I'm a big fan of cosmo canyon (I imagine everyone here's a ff7 fan), and somehow never really pictured it with a pop sensibility and strong major overtones. Digging it

Song's great as is, it's Chillbo Baggins, but as you're looking for some constructive advice I'll offer a few bits up:

The kick could use some EQing to help it pop without sounding too tinny. Maybe layer it with a warmer/rounder kick so that it gives some more low end oomph. Maybe even an occasional 808 kick for a little sub flavor? Don't hold me to that one, though :-P

I'd bring the synth pad that's in just after 0:30 down a few (or more) hairs to match that gentle cymbal roll. Really layer up all those pads and the background arp so that even at a lower level it really fills up the space (keep that beat delay on the lead, it's right on!).

When that melody line kicks back @ 1:17, I'd increase the buildup to it with either a filter sweep or a stronger cymbal roll.

And get those claps popping! I always like using a subtle beat delay on claps, layering the hell out of them, and carving a chunk of them out in the 1khz range so that they have a little bite. You don't want to suck the warmth out of them, though- you've got a good tone, I wouldn't change it. So maybe just a level adjustment would do the trick?

Basically, anything to help build the tension all the way to the end so that it arcs. All the elements are there, I think it's just a playing-with-levels game throughout and some EQ tweaking. 

Take that for whatever it's worth, hope it helps! 

*A bunch of super helpful tips n stuff*

Wow. Thanks for all the tips dude. You caught me at a pretty good time with the comment. I was working on more mixdown stuff for the track.

So I worked mostly on bringing out the cymbals and claps (just kept layering samples till it felt right honestly. And a sliiiight boost to the 1k range) and a bunch of eq-ing a sidechaining. I didn't end up going with the 808 on the kick. I've already got a sub bass in the track and it just felt to cluttered adding in more sub range.

I've got a newer version up on soundcloud if you wanna give it a listen and lemme know if anything else should be changed.

https://soundcloud.com/npc-23/stargazing-final-fantasy-vii-remix

And thanks again for the feedback dude.

Nice! Glad to help.

Here's a last idea for the 808: @ 2:15 when the beat drops out again, you could accent the drop with a single deep 808 boom on the downbeat, to really bring it all down. I guess it depends on what sounds you've got to pick from, but you can always tune it lower/higher to fit nicely in the song.

I'd either throw a beat delay or some thicker reverb on the claps too (you could also duplicate the clap track, pan them to different sides and throw a 1/8 delay on one, or both...add a little feedback, get that big pop sound to them. They still sound a little dry, for my taste. The tone is solid, though!)

The song's got a real nice ebb and flow to it, now, good stuff!

Nice! Glad to help.

Here's a last idea for the 808: @ 2:15 when the beat drops out again, you could accent the drop with a single deep 808 boom on the downbeat, to really bring it all down. I guess it depends on what sounds you've got to pick from, but you can always tune it lower/higher to fit nicely in the song.

I'd either throw a beat delay or some thicker reverb on the claps too (you could also duplicate the clap track, pan them to different sides and throw a 1/8 delay on one, or both...add a little feedback, get that big pop sound to them. They still sound a little dry, for my taste. The tone is solid, though!)

The song's got a real nice ebb and flow to it, now, good stuff!

Well I added the 808. I don't really have a lot of good samples so I couldn't get one as long as I wanted without time stretching it so hard it broke. As for the claps, I couldn't get the delay to work with me so I went nuts with the stereo width. If that doesn't get it to stand out in the mix I have no idea what will.

https://soundcloud.com/npc-23/stargazing-cosmo-canyon-remix/s-M0UErNewerest version.

Well I think this is ready for Mod-Review finally.

Good luck, man! I hope to see it pop up, it's sounding real nice.

I'm actually in a similar boat- brand new to OC ReMix and just put up my first work in progress that I want to submit, once I fine tune it. It's a Secret of Mana remix. The thread is here; I'd love to get any feedback!

• 3 weeks later...

[REVIEW OF THE MOD KIND]

- Kinda neat little pickup there at :50.  Reminded me a little of the Fez soundtrack, and at first I thought it was going to be jarring, but then it really settled in with the beat and I love it.

- the Melody that follows after that synth action gets a little lost, and then by 1:25 my ears are looking for some relief from the synth.  Maybe use some automation to scale it back when  the melody comes back in.  It's a great supporting synth, but it's too much in front after that introduction.

- piano or harp arps at 1:45 are too loud.  It continues and robs the melody of its glory.  

- Love the clap/breakdown at 2:30

- Given how rich of an arrangement you have going on here, I would have loved to hear more development.  It's within the limits of OCR's length requirements, but there is so much potential here for a really cool, unique, relaxed take on this tune that  I encourage you to revisit the arrangement and draw out some more of that vibe you've got going on.  

Really great job here!

[/MOD]