*NO* Super Mario Bros. 3 'Pyramids of the Koopahari Desert (LitD Mix)' *RESUB*

Liontamer

Contact Info:

ReMixer name: Random Hero

email address: cc971751@hotmail.com

Song Info:

This is a ‘Resubmit’ (originally posted 05-25-05)

Song Name: Pyramids of the Koopahari Desert (Lost in the Dunes Remix)

Name of game ReMixed: Super Mario Bros. 3

Name of individual song ReMixed: World 2 (Desert Land) Map music.

Please excuse and remove the little addition this site makes to the File name of the song.

Ok, this was a long time coming. I originally submitted this in May 2005 and was told by a couple of Judges to resubmit it. But by then I was already neck deep in a new song, “Squirrel Outta Hell”. But after that, I did take a third look at this song; I added a few things and so one. Then I lost the source file for about 4 or 5 months (grrrr, my brother formatted the computer). But then I found a backup that was about half as far along as the one that was lost. But by that time, I was up past my ears in “Battle of the Hylian Hero”. (Notice a pattern?) So finally, last January I started work on this again. Though it was only sporadic work at best. (Max: Hour per week).

Anyway here it is.

Same kinda style as the original with many instrument additions/replacements. Took the advice from the first judging and mixed it in. Oh, I guess I should mention that there is a tiny, second long, 7 note part in my song taken from ABBA’s, ‘Gimme, Gimme, Gimme’ which I use about 5 times throughout the song (first at 0:17). Benny and Björn won’t mind I hope.

Original Submission Info:

This is the second and final version (guess not, J) of this song. I did submit an earlier version on vgmix.com but this one is of much higher quality in my opinion. The re-work served as a way to develop ideas for a totally new remix. Hope you like it.

Thanx again,

Random Hero aka Ryan

• 2 weeks later...

hmm..the first thing that strikes me is that the one-note string part is really akward. the attack is slow, and the lack of harmony leaves it bare. While you do build the tension by making things louder and changing the key late in the game, I feel these things are superficial, and the arrangement is somewhat monotonous. The lead string parts continue to be somewhat akward.

NO

Remember, 192kbps is the bitrate ceiling here. The VBR encoding of 205kbps on this one is too much. Gotta bring it downward.

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/smb3.zip - Track 2 ("World 2 Map") & Track 15 intro

Opening woodwind is noticeably bleh on realism, then again so was a lot of the intro at :17, but I did like the arrangement ideas there. Nice buildup from :30-:34, though the pinao at :34 sounds way too thin and MIDI-grade. The source tune melody is also way too quiet, whereas all of the embellishments are louder and over the top of the melody. Gotta adjust that sound balance there. Nice use of the Warp Whistle jingle at 1:04.

Tone of the snare drum didn't quite seem to fit either; No intensity behind it. Actually, there's not really much intensity behind any of the instrumentation, despite what the writing is supposed to showcase. The overall volume was a bit too quiet, and there were those issues witht the sound balance I mentioned that placed the listener's focus on the wrong elements.

Decent idea for the key change at 2:26, though that electric guitar-like synth at 2:28 didn't fit there at all and sounded completely out of place for something that was supposed to sound orchestrated. Probably better to use a different sound entirely there, one that's also supposed to sound organic. There were some good ideas there to make that last section more powerful, but I agreed with Jesse that the arrangement dragged a bit by that point with the general pattern seeming too samey.

Flesh the sounds out a bit more and achieve a more organic sounding performance, adjust the sound balance in places, and keep the arrangement moving and this'll make a great addition. Great progress so far, Ryan, as this was a big improvement over the old version.

NO (resubmit)

kind of just reiterating other judges, but i like this.

you've got some good arrangement ideas going on, and i definetly think this is heading in the right direction.

as jesse mentioned, the arrangement does start to plod. there's not a whole lot of variety in dynamics, or textures.

on top of that, the production is pretty flat. the snare drum and the piano especially sound really lifeless.

this is getting close, but both the production and arrangement need improvement. give me some more dynamic contrast (don't let it hover at metzo-forte 98% of the time), and though this wouldn't neccesarily make the arrangement passable, my ears would like to hear a harmonic detour at some point. i mean, something beyond a modulation.

good stuff, put some more work into it.

NO RESUB