Contact Info:

ReMixer name: about:blank
Email address: 

ReMix info:
Name of game ReMixed: Final Fantasy III
Name of individual song ReMixed: Nepto Shrine 
ReMix title: Neptoverture

***This ReMix is part of the upcoming Final Fantasy III Project***

Hey, all. I recently finished this ReMix for the Final Fantasy III project. Roughly 80% of this was recorded live on a Roland SH-101 analog synth while the rest was sequenced. Also, Brandon recommended I map out the mix's relation to the source, as it can be a bit liberal at times.

Using this link of the original as a guide, here is how I interpreted the source.

0:00 - 0:04 of the original is referenced in 0:11 - 0:19 of the remix. I'll admit I syncopated the melody pretty heavily here.

0:05 - 0:19 is referenced in the lead at 0:34, and I make slight variations on this riff (adding a few notes, playing it with a different tone, etc.) until 1:19.

0:19 - 0:35 is referenced during the piano section at 1:24 - 2:18. I do change the key at a few points, but aside from that the riff is almost identical to the source, as I (almost) directly based that section on the midi.

The solo at 2:20 is admittedly just something I felt like playing and the glitchtune ending synth is another nod to the riff at 0:00-0:04 of the original.

Let me know if it's worthy!

Best,

----------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

Ok I'm really struggling with this.  I don't hear source at all.  What I do hear is some very piercing sound choices.  The beginning lead synths are so loud and piercy and detuned and I admit I'm not a fan of detuned saws so I might be biased there.  The writing all the way to 1:20 is really repetitive.  The piano that begins at 1:20 is stiff and unhumanized.  The drums in general are unbalanced with the snare being too loud and kick too soft.  The writing is again repetitive from 1:32 all the way to 2:18.  At 2:18 there is another very detuned saw lead.  The drum writing is also repetitive in this track.  I'm a no on this track but I'm at a loss to explain what can be fixed beyond my production crits and the fact that I hear no source.  Honestly I'm just not sure this concept works overall.  I'm likely to revise what I've written here after others make their comments and I feel more clear on this.

NO

I can hear the original, but it is majorly rearranged. There is a lot I dig about this one. The chopped up piano arp figure is really sick, and there are a many cool experimental synth sounds throughout the piece, but the source tune is too far removed.

There are also production issues that Kris mentioned. freq balance is aggressive, and the mix is rather crude. Tho the sound does honestly have a punk rock appeal, the mix needs more refinement per OCR standards.

NO

I'm somewhat familiar with noise/glitch styles like this, so I appreciate a lot of what you're trying to do here. The mix of dry synths and rough, jittery drums reminds me of Crystal Castles. The chopped piano section is definitely my favorite, I though that was a pretty successful component of this experiment.

The production here is just rough though, and the frequencies do not feel properly balanced at all, even for the genre you're mixing in. Everything sounds very boomy and muffled, without a lot of clarity when the drums get busier. It sounds like there's too much competing between sounds. I'm a bit at a loss for what to say other than the mixing job just isn't cutting it. Coupled with the source usage concerns mentioned above, I don't think this is working for me. Much respect for pushing the envelope and working with a lot of creative ideas, your glitching game is on-point, but I'm gonna have to pass on this.

NO