*NO* Donkey Kong Country 'Valley of the Kongs'

Liontamer

Link:

If that doesn't work, just put in the link up to and including the edr and it will take you to my homepage

ReMixer name: Earth Dyed Red

E-mail address: earthdyedred@yahoo.com

Website: http://www.angelfire.com/music5/edr or also http://www.myspace.com/earthdyedred (each has 3 songs from my fourth album)

Forum number: I have no idea where to find that, but my forum name is earthdyedred.

Name of game remixed: Donkey Kong Country

Name of individual songs remixed: I don't know their names, but one is the map theme and the other is from the jungle stages (i.e. Vulture Culture, Vine Valley, &c.)

My own comments about the mix:

Having found the site not too long ago and having been making music for half a decade, I figured I'd try my hand at a remix. I noticed that, although DKC in concert had yielded tons of songs, none had used the very easy and melodic figure from the jungle stages, nor had they used the similarly easy and melodic figure from the map. Seeing how easy they were to play on guitar, I figured I'd meld the two songs. The result is somewhat the lovechild of Delerium and progressive rock (assuming they can have lovechildren), with multiple bass parts, a simple drum part (anything too complex seemed intrusive), and vocals turning up in an odd way (that ethereal choir thing in the middle of the song is actually me singing falsetto with TONS of reverb). I can't tell good production values from a hole in the ground, but I figured the song would be fun to make regardless of whether judges think it's worth posting, and I think the execution of the song is quite different from most remixes on the site.

I hope I got everything you wanted in the tag.

-Brandon Isleib

Earth Dyed Red

Umm.. ouch? Why is this panned mostly right for the whole beginning of the song? It's really pointless and annoying, especially on headphones. I would also say that the intro doesn't flow at all to the next part. Completely different sound and feel. The intro could have been left out entirely, imo, and this would have not been worse off for it. Anyway, the main theme you're remixing is "Forest Frenzy", I believe, which I'm very familiar with as I remixed it myself for the DKC project. It's a bit of a tough one to do because it's rather simple and doesn't have a strong chord progression. But, with that in mind, I think you could have done more with the arrangement than just play the melody with some simple strummed chords in the background. The electric guitar that comes in around halfway to play the map theme (I think) is grating, just like the intro was, so try EQing that differently or just not using it at all. In addition, the distorted "screech" going from ear to ear is also piercing and unwanted.

3:59 or so to the ending is ugly. That's all I have to say about that, unfortunately, as the ending itself was a disappointment. If you want to be more interpretive you have a few options. You can do variations on the melody itself, the rhythms of the melody, or the chord progression; you can add original material, add your own chords, improvise over the original chord progression, that kind of thing. Your production values were more or less strong, outside of a few annoying things here and there which I mentioned, so now you just need to really work on your arrangement.

NO

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=dkc - "DK Island Swing" (dkc-03.spc) & "Forest Frenzy" (dkc-14.spc)

Yeah, this was pretty loosely performed for the intro. Nothing wrong with a gritty style, though a tighter performance would have helped.

Segued into some acoustic stuff at :32 before the "Forest Frenzy" melody came in. The soundfield felt pretty empty, as those three sounds weren't enough. Poor/sudden addition of some extremely plain & boring drums at 1:23. Same with the tambourine added at 2:02.

The instrumentation doesn't mesh well at all and sounds really imbalanced. Pull the tambourine back, for example. The screeching SFX thrown in here merely disturb the track rather than add to it and seem to have no point in there. Vox at 2:43 could have been a cool idea, but again doesn't mesh well with the other sounds, especially at 3:57 with that electric guitar coming in.

Arrangement, as the others pointed out, wasn't very interpretive, and the performance lacks finesse. Ambitious, but ultimately not concerned about being thorough on the details.

NO