Mega Man 3-Top Man

Possessed

• 2 weeks later...

Aha, thanks for the consideration. Let me also say thanks for the patience - sometimes tracks go by the wayside for various reasons, such as too many people posting at once, or sometimes the source isn't as popular. I can't say that last point holds in this case, though... I mean, this is freakin' Top Man! You can't not know this one; it is literally a sin not to know it. ;)

Anyhoo, let me give you some review lovin'! I'll give you a regular review, as I don't think you're looking to submit this (unless you are, in which case this review applies, though the track is too conservative for submission purposes).

Love the cover, here, as it really captures the heart of the source. The drums rock my socks off, though a few samples stand out as a little too mixed to the front. The snare, while fitting, could use a pinch less volume, while the bass drum could be a pinch louder. The tambourine sound is a little mechanical, as well - a little volume variation would fix that right up, since as it stands it is in your face with the same sound repeating without variation. Otherwise, the drums are really great!

The guitar work is great. Sometimes all of the guitar parts blend together, which can make it hard to hear any one part. 1:52 is an example - everything comes in, and while there are a lot of cool parts, it's hard to tell one from another. Consider using slightly different timbres for the guitars so it's easier to hear what's going on. That's my two cents on it.

Overall, this is tight and awesome - the above are more nitpicks than anything else. It's a shame more people didn't comment on it, since it's pretty sweet. Nice work!

I appreciate (and agree with) the feedback!  Although there is no tambourine... I assume you are talking about the hi-hats then? Or there is some parts that have a "ride bell" sample that I suppose, with the busy way this track is mixed, could be confused with a tambourine.  :)  Also, but being too conservative for submission purposes, are you saying that it doesn't change enough of the song structure to be on the site?  Other than changing up the arrangement slightly on each repeat, I just found the song too perfect to change.   :)

It's a shame songs like this can't be included on the site.  (not that I'm criticizing or complaining about the site, it is what it is).  Sometimes songs (particularly Mega Man songs), at least I feel like, are already perfect and merely need realistic instruments (or actually real in the case of guitars) to make them shine.  This one for example, anything I could have done to the song structure I feel like would have detracted from the magic.

I do see that you have a lot of variation in your instrumentation throughout, and you DO keep it interesting throughout. But yeah, the track sticks very close to the source throughout, as well, which would probably make it work less within the framework of the site.

It's nothing against the track itself - covers are cool, especially one that rocks as hard as this one. It's a specification of the site itself, so as you requested a Mod review I thought I'd let you know that before you submit it, only to find out six or more months later that the site wouldn't accept it on that premise alone. It's one of the benefits of a Mod review, after all :)

Yes, I understand.  I have one remix that might qualify for inclusion on this site, only because it's a medley of two songs.  But I just think Mega Man songs are written perfectly and all they need is real guitars.   :)  I'm considering making an albums worth.

But yes I mostly share here because I feel like I have a talent for making covers like this, but I can't seem to get anybody to notice.  :)  Of course I make them for myself, but considering the amount of work put into these it'd be nice to get some sort of recognition.  I put this one on youtube and it has like 5 views wtf!

Hmm... Well, I find that doing things in the community often helps get your things noticed on here. Competitions and such are great avenues for getting people to notice your things more on here. Otherwise, commenting on people's things on Soundcloud of Youtube can often get people to reciprocate, too, outside of this website. It's not easy getting people's attention.

Also, I really hate to put a damper on your medley, but that is also something that generally isn't accepted on OCR, if it's a straight medley. Mixing two or more sources together in a more synthetic manner, however, is considered a great way to create something new out of your sources. It's something I have a lot of fun with, myself, from time to time. :)

Man, I feel like the biggest sour puss, but I feel it's better for you to know rather than finding out the hard way, lol. Hopefully what I say helps you out, though!

Ah.  No worries, I already made it, it's not like I made it specifically for this site or anything.   :)  It's of two songs from the Final Fantasy game Mystic Quest for SNES.  (Subpar game, great music).  It's modeled after a medley/arrangement that came if you bought the official soundtrack CD.  It too is more of a cover, but again, that's really all my intentions are.  I feel like the songs are already perfect, and could just benefit with better synths and real guitars.  (If you can't tell, I'm a guitar player more than anything else.   :P)

Here's the thread I made for it in case you're curious.

I've thought about offering guitar services for other remixers.  For example if they have made an arrangement for a remix or something that calls for a live guitar part but they can't play guitar I would record myself playing it for them and send them the unprocessed track and let them mix it and whatnot.

I've thought about offering guitar services for other remixers.  For example if they have made an arrangement for a remix or something that calls for a live guitar part but they can't play guitar I would record myself playing it for them and send them the unprocessed track and let them mix it and whatnot.

That is a good route to go, as far as getting people's attention. If I need any, I'll hit you up (and I might, so beware!)  :twisted:

Feel free!  I can learn songs really fast, so send them my way!  I don't know if you looked at my soundcloud page any, but I've done about 30 covers all within the last year, 95% of which I didn't know how to play prior to recording.

Most of them aren't video game related though.  I like to take rock/metal/songs that aren't rock or metal and meld them into rock/metal, often times replacing the vocals with guitar lines that mimmick the vocal melodies.