Final Fantasy Mystic Quest - Battle 2 Metal Cover

Hi there everybody!

I've been working for quite a long time on that epic boss battle theme. I know the approach is not super original (it's rather metal from the beginning), but I think I managed to get a new feel while keeping the spirit of the song. Feedback welcome, obviously (even if may die a little on the inside), as I tend to get reviews from friends that may be too kind for my own sake ^^

The original : 

(for some unknown reason, the whole soundtrack of the game is slightly detune regarding standard A440 tuning)  

The Cover: https://soundcloud.com/julienmulard/dark-kings-fiends-ffmq-battle-2-metal-cover(Absolutly non subjective spoiler alert: keyboard-guitar soli/duet/canon/awesomeness and more!)

Enjoy!

Nice energy level, lots of fun.

It's pretty heavily loaded on the high end, lacking in mids.

First section, an almost exact cover, repeats verbatim, then a nice original section, then another verbatim repetition.  Gotta switch that up a little more.  The key-changed variant at the end is very cool, but that kind of thing needs to happen earlier and more.

Could use some stereo separation, the whole thing is lined up almost straight down the middle.

Hi MindWanderer, and thank you for your feedback!

I'm glad you like it and call it fun! It's exactly what I got in mind when I started this project. :)

As a matter of fact, it was from the beginning a cover rather than a ReMix, so I am not surprised by the "to close from the original" part of your criticism. I feared it was, and so it is, but I was better asking, right? ^^ I posted here for a feedback, but I wasn't aiming for the OCR standard, so yeah. 

The first thing I wanted was to get a sort of Motorhead feeling (it mainly influenced drums I think) and it is not a very "progressive" kind of music. So I sticked to a basic blues/jazz standard structure: twice the theme, solos, and a final twist to get a sort of grand finale :D As I consider it a finished work, I don't plan to re-compose/re-arrange it, so I guess it will stay as repetitive as it is now. But maybe in a few month, I'll go for a new version of it?

Regarding your more "producer oriented" remarks: the panning was a thing I wanted to do, but I was willing to stop working on this piece, as I knew I would never be fully satisfied by it. But I may correct this. Or start a new project because I'm starting to be fed up with that tune ^^ Whatever, I'll take panning more seriously on my future work! For the lack of mid, in the last part, I'm not sure about what to do, as I fear it will damage the mix. I could have put the second voice during the arpeggio, but I fear it would have make this part too charged... And I really wanted that stormy load of doubled high pitched notes, and I'm not sure about changing the EQ for that part and taking some highs out. So if youy (or anybody else) as some kind of advice, I'll be glad to try and learn sutff!

Whatever, thank you again for your feedback, it is very valuable to me! :D