*NO* Sonic the Hedgehog 3 'Fire and Ice'

Liontamer

The Cynic Project

Sonic 3

Fire and Ice (2:27 160kbps CBR MP3)

*final*

I hope my style is compatible with OC. The sparse arrangement and synth programming are deliberate. The mixing is as good as I could manage on headphones.

FWIW, I record all the MIDI (including percussion) live using the destination instruments, and then edit for velocity and expression (vibrato, cutoff) and quantize as necessary.

Cakewalk Sonar 3.0

XV3080 (Bass; Shakuhatchi; Piano; Percussion; Pads)

Supernova II (Intro Synth)

JP8080 (Background Synth)

Battery (Hi Hats; Genesis Samples)

• 2 weeks later...

This sounded ok, quite pleasant to listen to. The thing is, we have some very good remixes of this stage already posted on the site in various styles, and as this is a popular choice for submission, our standards are very high for this particular tune.

Sound production was quite good here, although nothing stood out in particular. I thought some instruments like the shakuhachi and piano could have used some more reverb, they sounded rather dry. Drums were pleasant, especially the section 1.12-1.25. However, the drum patterns overall didn't really stand out, neither did the rhythms on the other instruments. The arrangement was good, but it was a rather bread and butter, factory remix style. Quite good, but not quite up to the OC bar this time.

NO

http://project2612.org/download.php?id=61 - "IceCap Zone 1"

This sounded ok, quite pleasant to listen to. The thing is, we have some very good remixes of this stage already posted on the site in various styles, and as this is a popular choice for submission, our standards are very high for this particular tune.

Sound production was quite good here, although nothing stood out in particular. I thought some instruments like the shakuhachi and piano could have used some more reverb, they sounded rather dry. Drums were pleasant, especially the section 1.12-1.25. However, the drum patterns overall didn't really stand out, neither did the rhythms on the other instruments. The arrangement was good, but it was a rather bread and butter, factory remix style. Quite good, but not quite up to the OC bar this time.

He's right the entire way. Go back and read his POV again. Purposeful as it is, the track is too sparse and the sound choices & arrangement ideas are too plain. The instrumentation is very defaulty, and stuff that should have sounded organic like the piano sounded way too synthethic with the tone and performance. The writing of nearly all of the parts was way too simplistic. I liked the writing ideas of the supporting synths/parts, except for the drums/kicks, which were boring, and most of the rhythm changes were generic.

The melody's not meaningfully interpreted at at all, and with only 2:27's worth of time to work with, you certainly didn't give yourself enough time to develop the arrangement. If you don't put more substance and uniqueness into these submissions, you're gonna get the same result every time.

NO