Shevat, The Bells are Jingling (Xenogears)

Hipnotyk

https://soundcloud.com/matt-s-harrison/shevat-the-bells-are-jingling

I know this is probably not enough deviation from the original to be considered for mod review, but this is my first draft for a holiday themed cover/remix.  I changed some of the supporting instrumentation around to give it a slightly more natural or organic feeling.  The bass and the flute absolutely had to stay, though.  To me, this track isn't the same without either one.

Would like to consider taking it to a point where I can deviate and make it more worthy of being a "remix" as opposed to a cover, but I'm really not sure how to go about doing that.  Do I need to break up the melody/bass line or is getting more elaborate with the accompanying lines enough?

lol, Mitsuda would approve. as you may know, he's such a fan of sleigh bells that his personal label is named that.

i also approve, because this song kicks ass.  i hope you have heard the Myth version of this song that he made with the orchestra.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_uF_1MAJaY

again, the production is very clear.  the mixing is fantastic, everything is at the right level and sounds good. i am a fan of the samples used here.  

the thing i've found is...when you're taking the original and trying to change it up, it's a little...hard to do that.  at that point, any deviation from the original sounds like you are doing something wrong.  it may be easier to become very familiar with all the parts of the song, then start from scratch and throw parts in as if writing a completely new song.  

as a cover though, it's fantastic.

Oh yes, I definitely own the Myth album.  Used several of the tracks as pre-ceremony music for my wedding in addition to some of the slower stuff on the first two Distant Worlds albums.

I appreciate you taking time to listen.  I remember listening to this track a few months ago and thinking, "there is literally no way anyone could ever make a better version of this track."  I feel that way about a lot of the tracks in the Xenogears OST because the quality of samples used for a PS1 game is pretty good.  

Definitely don't feel like mine's better; it's just an altered, personalized version that I've made to keep working on production and if others enjoy it, then that's fantastic.  Glad you enjoyed it!