*NO* Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 'Dancing in the Valley'

djpretzel

Plenty of issues as pertains to both sound quality & production; I don't think this will pass, and am voting NO myself, but if we could get some additional feedback critique for Markus, that'd be cool. - djp

NO

Hi,

I would like to submit my remix of Gerudo Valley for evaluation.

Link of the MP3 file (Dancing in the Valley.mp3):

Contact Information
ReMixer name: mIQs
userid: 32910

Submission Information
Name of game arranged: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Nintendo, 1998, N64)
Name of arrangement: Dancing in the Valley
Name of individual song(s) arranged: Gerudo Valley
composer: Koji Kondo
Navi - Voiced by: Kaori Mizuhashi

Comments about the mix:
I discussed some musical issues with my son. He let me know, that his favorite song is Gerudo Valley from Zelda - and he really likes the remixes. So, we immediately started to search for remixes of this song ... and - as you can imagine - we found tons of it.
I love the melody of this song - and wanted to create something like a hybrid version. With a dance rhythm, synthesizer sounds and also with a small orchestral touch.
This final version has a rich instrumentation but we both like the whole track - especially the intro and the outro.
I also included Navi's one-liner "hey, listen" (it fits perfectly at that position).

Looking forward for your decision.

Best Regards,
Markus

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• djpretzel changed the title to 2015/09/30 - (1N) Zelda: Ocarina of Time 'Dancing in the Valley'

I liked the orchestral intro, and I think you should've continued that route with the remix, as the section with the electronic drums and synths feels much weaker.  The drums are pretty simple and lack presence,  There are some weird sound choices here, as there's a strange sound in the background at 0:48 which sounds like the sound Charging Chucks make when they jump in super mario world.  Around 0:58 there's some odd accompaniment on the piano notes in the background that doesn't really fit well.

The tempo change at 1:50 was not transitioned to very well and felt jarring, I felt the slow down towards the end worked much better.  As for the arrangement I felt it was a bit repetitive and relied too much on the original melody being played verbatim without much interpretation, while the original sections and backings that were added didn't fit very well.

Overall I think this remix is a good showing of where your strengths and weaknesses lie.  I think the slower sections with the orchestral elements worked very well, and even when they had sparse electronic percussion or synth elements it was working fairly well, the other sections however did not work.  I think you could explore more this side of things with your music, as my ears tell me there's talent waiting to be exploited there.    As for this track I don't think it works as a whole because of the issues explained above.  You can always hit our Workshop Forums for further advice.

NO

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2015/09/30 - (2N) Zelda: Ocarina of Time 'Dancing in the Valley'

I like the orchestral intro, although the strings would need a bit of humanization.  When the electronic portion begins, I like the synth playing the lead and I can envision this track as a trance track, but the drums are so weak and repetitive, and the same is true of the bass.  The drums and bass here are very weak and repetitive, and this is the type of track where drums and bass can make or break the track. 

That tempo change, Mike is right that it isn't signaled or built up at all so it feels odd and jarring.  The orchestral outro is quite nice.  I agree with Mike that you may want to focus on one style or the other.  Your orchestral work is definitely the stronger skill at the moment.  Join our wip forums and get some further advice.

NO (resubmit) 

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2015/09/30 - (3N) Zelda: Ocarina of Time 'Dancing in the Valley'