*NO* Chrono Trigger 'Schala's Folktale'

Liontamer

avaris

Shaun Wallace

Chrono Trigger

Schala's Theme

midi: http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/snes/CT-Schala.mid

remix:

Hola dudes, omg another Schala mix! I got the name for this remix from the song that inpsired me to make it And that song is "Sora's Folktale" from the Escaflowne movie. It was made by the one and only, my idol and yours, Yoko Kanno. One of my all time favorite songs. Schala's theme just managed to fit with the mood I was wanting to go for. Well anyways, this song is minimalist style on purpose. Also if you guys got any questions about the arrangement I'll rip a midi for you, of course you all have good enough musical ears to notice the subtle differences in each section.

I had a lot of fun making this one, particularly creating the soundscape. I fed some parts of this through a granulizer, especially some of the rythm sections. I also change the time signature midway through too, and pretty much every harmony/melody/counter melody you hear is layered out the yang. I also did something special within the layering that I feel really made for an even more effective ambient feel.

Thanks guys n gals.

• 3 weeks later...

Source - track 3-06 "Shala's Theme"

Stylistically similar to your MP2 mix, the source is built upon with a substantial degree of ambiance. Pretty chill kind of vibe throughout. Definitely seems to have more direction than your previous submission, and by that, I mean the chord progression and theme themselves seem to have a more solid structure. Lots of phasing going on in this one, almost makes it sound low-bitrate-ish at times, at least the support pads.

I actually like how the percussion stays really soft throughout. The leads themselves are a little on the rigid side. Harp was a nice touch. I really dig and appreciate the effort you've put into the soundscape, here. The minimalist approach seems to fit this theme nicely.

I think you've made a lot of progress on this one since the last submission Shaun, nice work. I'd say my main qualms would be the overly-mechanical melody, where I think you could have really utilized some slow pitch-bending techniques to really stir up that droning, ambient, vibe. Also, I hate to say it, but the arrangement leaves room for expansion. It didn't jump out immediately, mainly because your mix is done at a slower pace than the source, but there's plenty of room for you to take this theme and really truly make it "yours".

I'd like to hear a resub on this one, for sure.

Bend it, flex it, expand it, and really make a killer "avaris arrangement", in addition to the style. Do that, and you're in the green. Keep at it, bro!

NO RESUBMIT

Has a decent, calm vibe, but the sounds are pretty bland overall, like the main beat in the back. The melodic arrangement is pretty straightforward and really doesn't stand out as different enough in style/presentation to make up for the conservative take.

By 1:30, I was expecting something more substantial to be going on, but it just went back to the main Schala melody at 1:45, only with some slightly different patterns and supporting writing underneath. Didn't feel like the piece was evolving in any way to compensate for the lack of dynamic contrast or new writing for the lead.

Something like the lead at 2:55, only with a bit more power, would have come in handy earlier in the track to create more contrast. On the writing side though, that section didn't go anywhere before petering out at 3:30. Overall, this needs more development, direction, interpretation, and depth to the sounds.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

Not much to say that hasn't already been said. This sounds very much like background music. The ambience is good, although the phasing pads do get annoying after a while.

What this needs is something to make it more engaging, or something to add groove. Right now it's not something that would really hold my attention for 4 minutes.

NO(Plz resbumit)