Mastering combi for Reason

Malcos

Jebus. I tried it on a track just now, and it basically tripled the apparent volume. :) Of course, it sounds squashed (well.. if you pump up the compression, as it is, it's fairly not-overkill), but I guess mileage varies with the source material.

One thing I noticed, though. When you load it up, it sounds way different with those settings than after you change the position of Rotary 1 (Loudness Curve). Even if you set it back to the same default value, the tone doesn't go back to what it is originally. It's sounds like the EQ is disabled or something before you change the position of that knob.

Ok, so I checked; the EQ curve changes radically once you twist that knob, and due to the way the values are set for the rotary in the programmer, you can't get back to that original value. Not that I'm complaining, this thing sounds delicious, like aural cake. :D

Wait ok now I figured it out. You manually set up that EQ curve within the patch. Man, this post is really incoherent.

Off the top of my head, the Kjaerhus Audio Classic Master Limiter VST ( http://www.kjaerhusaudio.com/classic-master-limiter.php ) is quite nice.. but it's single band, so you're not going to be able to get anything OMFG XBOX HUGE loud out of it. But it's free and a very nice limiter at that, plus it's only got one knob on the panel so it couldn't be simpler to use. The other Kjaerhus plug ins are hot as well.

That's single band as well.. I dled it but haven't tried it out yet, but the Waves L1 is a single band design, and the W1 is based on it. Anyway, I'm actually also interested in hearing if anyone knows of a free multiband "mastering" compressor / limiter VST that's good for squeezing out every last dB with reasonable transparency.

Wait ok now I figured it out. You manually set up that EQ curve within the patch.

Oh yeah, heh. I should have mentioned that already. I meant for the eq thing to be just constant, as I wanted to try and make it as transparent as possible. But of course everyone will tweak it to their own tastes.

Zoola, klm09, you might want to try out the free 'C3' multiband compressor, it's an excellent one, I use it all the time when I rewire with vocal stuff in Sonar. You can get it from here:

http://www.madtracker.org/plugins.php?category=Effect&subcategory=Compressor