Remixer: deific-X

Name: Even Alander

e-mail: deificx@gmail.com

UserID: 51929

Game: Zelda 3: a link to the past

Song remixed: Darkworld

Remix name: Dark neon

Comment:

I've allways enjoyed the darkworld theme, but never found it sounding dark enough.

So in my attempt to make a more morose atmosphere it ended up sounding more technological.

So if you put Link in a Neo-Dark-tokyo-3-underground-world in the year 3098, this would probably be its theme.

I'm sure there's a handful of people who would find this to be the most absolutely l33t thing they've ever heard.

Unfortunately, this track relies way too heavily on the beat and [omgbias]groove[/omgbias]. The instrumentation was awfully bland and hollow. It's the sonic version of eating a peanut butter and jelly-less sandwich (aka plain bread).

Fill in the frequencies, man. Needs some midrange someting fierce. You can't always rely on a cool drum groove to carry a song into the winner's circle.

Expand on the foundation you've got here. Perhaps find someone to collab on this one with you. I think you may find the right person's influence on a track like this invaluable.

NO refine/rework/resub

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=loz3 - "Dark World" (loz3-12.spc)

Nice opening, homey. Nothing to do with Zelda really, but the source melody showed up at :32, so it was all good. Joined by some very lo-fi plucked string samples at :40. Joined by some droning synth on harmony at :52. Uh...is this all there is?

Yeah, BGC's right, this track is empty as hell. There's nothing really going on here. The melody's sparse, the accompaniment is barren. Pretty much everything is bumping and thumping in the low end, then you've got nothing else even happening.

Perhaps devise more harmony or countermelody parts to work with that barren lead and thus flesh things out more. Allow other sounds to breathe as well. Your beats and low-end effects are clearly louder than everything else, and just end up stifling those other parts.

Also, go for something interpretive with the "Dark World" melody itself. Besides this genre adaptation here, the structure is practically the same as the source, which is boring.

NO

• 5 weeks later...

I've allways enjoyed the darkworld theme, but never found it sounding dark enough.

So in my attempt to make a more morose atmosphere it ended up sounding more technological.

So if you put Link in a Neo-Dark-tokyo-3-underground-world in the year 3098, this would probably be its theme.

I think it's quite presumtuous to speculate what music might sound like in 1100 years. ;)

Yeah, i'm 2 minutes in and i'm really not hearing much zelda arrangement going on. It's pretty much a straightforward cover with fairly interesting drums. There's just not enough arrangement here.

NO