*NO* Pinball 'The Wind of Warmth'

Liontamer

ReMixer Name: Gimgak

Game Remixed: Pinball (for the NES)

Song: Intro Theme

Well, this is my first submission to OCR. I got this game (Pinball) some months ago while I was trying to build up my NES game collection. As soon as I turned this game on this neat little intro theme played. I didn’t think much about it at first, but after hearing it a couple of times a realized I could make a great remix out of it. I went straight to my keyboard, but sadly I couldn’t get anything to sound that great. So I put it off for a couple of months and then one night when I had nothing to do I messed around with the melody a bit again. After working on it for about 30 minutes I played back what I had so far and it hit the style I had imagined from the beginning head on. After that I just built up on it until I got this result. I think this is some of my best work so far and I had a lot of fun making it. Even if it doesn’t get accepted I hope you guys enjoy it and I’m looking forward to some constructive criticism. I’m not sure if I filled out the ID3v2 tag exactly right, but I guess I can worry about that if it gets accepted. This was made in FL Studio 6 by the way.

-Gimgak

I would say this track shows promise in the remixer, so congratulations on a good first submission. The arrangement isn't bad and the basic concept is fairly interesting.

You do however, make some beginner mistakes. A lot of the partwriting is rather jumpy and akward. A lot of the transitions are sudden, and the drums are painfully repetitive.

Not bad for a start.

NO

• 1 month later...

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/pinball.zip - Track 3

Pretty cool string intro. Once the melody kicked in at :15, the string movement and supporting piano both sounded a bit rigidly sequenced. When the beatwork took over at :32-1:03, the more "organic"-minded parts started getting obscured. The bell work sounded way too weak, but the writing was alright.

The beatwork sounded pretty cheap and cookie cutter (and also too repetitive over time), and didn't mesh well with the other instrumentation at all. After a promising harp-like section starting at 1:20, those thin & exposed claps coming in at 1:35 simply sounded out of place as well. Nothing else to really point out aside from the ending being a serviceable resolution.

Agreed with Vigilante, this is definitely a really cool concept and a great base of an arrangement. Frankly, I'm impressed at what you did with such a limited theme as well, Dillon. But the negatives of the flimsy samples, thin textures, rigid sequencing, and repetitive beatwork can't make up for a (merely) promising arrangement. if you devote a lot more time to enhancing your production techniques, developing more sophisticated support instrument writing, and creating more cohesive textures, you'd be well on the way to getting something passed in the future.

Within the Workspace area of our forums, Use the ReMixing forum to ask questions and learn more about the sounds and programs you're using, and take advantage of possible community feedback in the Works-in-Progress & Releases forum.

NO

LIGHTNING ROUND (wingless style)

* Arrangement has good ideas, a little repetitive though towards the end. Try integrating another theme maybe?

* Texture is generally a little sparse, try adding more instruments like pads to fill out the background

* Needs a more prominent bass instrument of some kind

* Try to mix drums better, change up the samples so they fit the style a little more

* Strings could be more realistic (try a little reverb and starting the samples earlier so they are at full volume on the beats)

I also agree with Larry and Vig's points generally speaking. Good effort, keep at it.

NO