*NO* Super Mario Bros. 'Another Castle'

Liontamer

Remixed by: B.Ultra&Basic

Who is in actuality: Will Blanton

Who can be reached electronically at: bultraandbasic@samplereactor.com

Or seen electronically at: http://www.myspace.com/bultraandbasic

The game being mangled is: Super Mario Brothers

The track being remixed is: The level music

Comments on the track: I'm terribly sorry. I'm sure you've recieved at least a thousand remixes of this tune. I don't mean to be trite, seriously. It's just a tradition of mine to remix this diddy. It was the first thing I did upon recieving Fruity Loops V2 seven or eight years ago. So this version is my latest, and I did it after listening to a lot of ragga. I was just browsing your site and remembered I had made it last year and figured I'd submit. I've always been adamant about never using MIDI scores in remixes and hardly ever reference back to the original tracks I'm remixing, so I'm sure the melody and bassline are off, but some cool notes: While not using an actual NEW as a soundsource, I sampled my gameboy for the lead. I eventually sampled the original game also for some obvious cliche clips.

I hope you enjoy!

-Will

PS- I've loved your site for years!

Thanks for the link fix, larry.

K, interesting stuff, Will. Actually, the fact that your melody and bassline weren't verbatim worked to your credit, as it gave room for your own interpretation (or at the very least attempt) of the theme.

Kicking off with some chip sounds. Build up and breakbeat drums fall at :31. Pretty D&B until the slower pattern kicks in at 2:25. Cross-panned UFO effect kicks in at the same time. Back to the faster pattern at 3:09. Drums fade out at 3:30, we're back to where we started. Actual sampled "you iz dead" theme wraps this one up from 4:01 - 4:11.

Well, main problems are the level of repetition and the instrumentation. Nothing really changes. And while the melody and bassline aren't exactly as they are in the source, there's otherwise no other creative additions, interpretations, or adaptations, with the exception of the drums.

I hardly ever go there, but in the song exchange forum over at www.flstudio.com, I remember downloading a take on this theme that was very very similar. Only difference is that they actually did use a rip of the original, and simply laid some hyper-beats on top.

The track sounds very hollow as just a chiptune with drums. You need some sort of other instrumental support. I understand that the genre-analytical people could throw a fit and say "BUT DAT'S HOW ITZ SUPPOZED TO SOUND OMGBBQFTW!!!111!", but with all respect to however someone says D&B is *supposed* to sound, this is still pretty sonically hollow. No midrange at all, the chiptune bass definitely wears thin after the drums fall, and the stereo mix of the track is kind of dull. With the exception of places like 1:47, and the UFO effect, there wasn't a lot of attention to panning.

At any rate, interesting take on the Mario bro's theme, and it might be well received by some, but it's not quite got the OCR-shine to it. Otherwise, I'm sure you spent a decent amount of time on the drums, and they sound alright, so good job on that. You just need to do something less repetitious as far as the arrangement goes, and fill in some space. Oh, and I'm actually kind of surprised you didn't at least drop the ending to match the key of the song. Oh well.

Good luck on your future projects and subs, Will. Glad you like the site, and I hope you find this feedback helpful.

NO

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/smb1.zip - Track 1 ("Overworld BGM")

Decent track if you're not demanding and just nostalgically like the original theme a lot.

But just because some of the melodic and bassline writing is slightly different doesn't mean this is interpretive enough by the standards here. The structure and tempo's still the same. The beatwork sounds like it was all cribbed from other places. Whether or not it that's true is irrelevant, as the important part is that the beats often didn't integrate with the rest of the music at all. Several of the changeups weren't smooth at all.

Well, main problems are the level of repetition and the instrumentation. Nothing really changes. And while the melody and bassline aren't exactly as they are in the source, there's otherwise no other creative additions, interpretations, or adaptations, with the exception of the drums.

Read it again and love it. Short and sweet, that sums it up for me.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

Where's that picture of djp with "drums over it"

to your credit, you change some aspects of the melody, etc, and you show at least some basic grasp of production techniques, but this is largely the original with drums over it. The subtle touches though, make me think you have more talent than this project showcases.

NO