The Successor(Remake)

CancerBus

Hi! I'm a self taught audio engineer and composer! A friend of mine told me about these boards and I wanted to say hi! share some stuff I've done and see how you all think it could sound better! I love criticism the more detailed the better, what did I mess up what did I actually do right and so on. I use FL Studios Producer Edition and free public VSTs. 

I'm just gonna stick to the successor. I'm also gonna stick to not really commenting too much on the quality of the VSTs or anything as much as I can. 

I think you could better use some of the more atmospheric aspects in the very beginning I'm not sure if this was intentional or not but there is some pulsating in the strings and it kinda throws me off but I think if it moved more or had a better presence in the soundstage I would have been okay with it. Some panning would be interesting as well. Like that synth at the bottom when it first comes in around 35. Really very nice touch. It definitely screams FFVIII low synth. The next sequence though, personally I don't like the chord progresssion around 50s. The root note/bass sounds out of place. I'm not great at doing analysis off the top of my head but I think it might be some type of inversion thats clashing in an unpleasant way. At 1:13 I especially didn't like the clash. Sure, it is more interesting than a simple, consonant bass line, but I think it doesn't do it for me here personally. I do think the idea is good. Again, that bass screams FFVIII and is used often in the OST. I wonder what sample you used?

The next part after though actually works really well for me in the bass line! I enjoy it! I just don't like that first part with the sort of Edea/Witches motif section. I thiink however in that last section from 2:48, the bass no longer does it for me having it there always. It just seems like it shouldn't be there? I think though from 3:01 it could make a come back though. Give us some room to breath and enjoy that beautiful chord progression starting from 2:48 and those high notes. Ugh, so gorgeous. The piano you got really did it or me with those high notes! Loved it :). But yeah, I think just...maybe let that bass go except for the part I put earlier. Maybe even just at that 3:07 part when it plays in octaves with the main line. 

Anywho, these are just my opinions and my approach. We all come from our different musical backgrounds with our own preferences. I don't think any of the things I mentioned were egregious at all. Just things where I would differ. I think you also have more to offer with this song too. Especially if you want as a remix or an arrangement to take it somewhere unique to you. I like this idea of what you call Uematsu bass and bringing that to this piece somehow. Would love to see the idea expanded upon. Anywho, cheers buddy! Thanks for the listen :)

21 hours ago, HarlemHeat360 said:

I'm just gonna stick to the successor. I'm also gonna stick to not really commenting too much on the quality of the VSTs or anything as much as I can. 

I think you could better use some of the more atmospheric aspects in the very beginning I'm not sure if this was intentional or not but there is some pulsating in the strings and it kinda throws me off but I think if it moved more or had a better presence in the soundstage I would have been okay with it. Some panning would be interesting as well. Like that synth at the bottom when it first comes in around 35. Really very nice touch. It definitely screams FFVIII low synth. The next sequence though, personally I don't like the chord progresssion around 50s. The root note/bass sounds out of place. I'm not great at doing analysis off the top of my head but I think it might be some type of inversion thats clashing in an unpleasant way. At 1:13 I especially didn't like the clash. Sure, it is more interesting than a simple, consonant bass line, but I think it doesn't do it for me here personally. I do think the idea is good. Again, that bass screams FFVIII and is used often in the OST. I wonder what sample you used?

The next part after though actually works really well for me in the bass line! I enjoy it! I just don't like that first part with the sort of Edea/Witches motif section. I thiink however in that last section from 2:48, the bass no longer does it for me having it there always. It just seems like it shouldn't be there? I think though from 3:01 it could make a come back though. Give us some room to breath and enjoy that beautiful chord progression starting from 2:48 and those high notes. Ugh, so gorgeous. The piano you got really did it or me with those high notes! Loved it :). But yeah, I think just...maybe let that bass go except for the part I put earlier. Maybe even just at that 3:07 part when it plays in octaves with the main line. 

Anywho, these are just my opinions and my approach. We all come from our different musical backgrounds with our own preferences. I don't think any of the things I mentioned were egregious at all. Just things where I would differ. I think you also have more to offer with this song too. Especially if you want as a remix or an arrangement to take it somewhere unique to you. I like this idea of what you call Uematsu bass and bringing that to this piece somehow. Would love to see the idea expanded upon. Anywho, cheers buddy! Thanks for the listen :)

Thank you so much I really appreciate the time you put into this criticism! I felt specifically at 2:48 i was kinda forcing that bass to remain in, you really hit the nail on the head there. The bass I used was a basic FL pack in called BooBass, I just did some light EQ work and mid attack low release on the compressor to give it a pit of punch with a slight raise in the 150Hz range!

I really appreciate you putting in the work to help me grow as an artist my dude, thank you again so much!

(also sorry I dont know how those other videos got posted I hid them)