Magic Frequencies

Fishy

This is a cool little introduction to EQ basics I found, thought I'd share it here. It's got some useful tips for creating the main types of tone you can get on certain instruments through basic EQing. Nothing too in depth, just some nice pointers.

Nothing really for electronic sounds though.

http://www.digitalprosound.com/2002/03_mar/tutorials/mixing_excerpt1.htm

I'm considering buying the book this extract is from, if anyone who has it can tell me if its as good as this passage indicates, that would be cool.

That guy is pretty good, you should throw this up on the 'mastering and production' thread. You can find alot of this information online for free, so unless you got money to burn u might be able to find similar info online.

My favorite part of the whole thing is this:

5. You can’t boost something that’s not there

in the first place.

I've seen many guides like this, but what I find weird about this one is that others reccomend boosting around 200Hz on drums to get a "wooden" sound to it. Also, for the kick I've read to cut around 500Hz because it muddies things up, and rolling off at around 80Hz isn't 100% advisable for genres with powerful kicks such as House or Trance, but otherwise its true. These guides are nice but they all differ in areas because everyone hears things differently and the best solution is to just use one's ears. This guide should be a nice intro to everybody who doesn't know much about EQ'ing though, and many of the tips (like cutting instead of boosting) work very well.

I think this is mostly aimed at sort of pop music to be honest. The thing I liked about it was the fact it gave you actual figures, as opposed to abstract concepts of equalizations. It actually gives you some starting points as opposed to yammering on for 20 pages about concepts. Personally I would say, take the figures they give and play with them, they're obviously not going to be universal.

I think this is mostly aimed at sort of pop music to be honest.

It would seem so, which explains a lot of the EQing ranges as well.

The thing I liked about it was the fact it gave you actual figures, as opposed to abstract concepts of equalizations. It actually gives you some starting points as opposed to yammering on for 20 pages about concepts.

Good point, like I said its a great starting place for beginners. Besides, I'm a sucker for concepts so what would I know.