Star Control 2 - Hyperspace Theme Music Remix - *featuring the Orz*

pianopossession

Hello *extremely*! I hope you like to *play*! This is my lowres-remix of the hyperspace theme music from Star Control 2/The Ur-Quan Masters featuring incoming messages by the orz! Built from the ground up. For the most part I took the PC-version as reference and the ending with the modulations from the 3DO-Version.

Do not forget to *enjoy the sauce*!!!

A big fan of Star Control 2 here. So I enjoyed this! Fun crunchy sound. Is it so that 0:19-0:50 the harmony is a bit "richer" than the original? I really enjoyed that change!

The Orz samples unfortunately feel a bit "pasted on top" of the music. They jump out both sonically and rhythmically. They could be made to sit in the mix a bit more smoothly mixing-wise, which might be tough to do as both the voices and the music are quite rough. I understand the music is like this by design and I like it. Rhythmically the voices from the game I don't think ends up being very "musical" as it is. Maybe you could try cutting up the voice samples and try to align them to the music more rhythmically. Bits of it work good, like at 1:03 "we will have a happy party now", the "a happy party now" lines up with the music really nicely, though the "we will have" could still be massaged into the rhythm better.

In any case, this was really fun to listen to! The 3DO modulations are cool to bring along, the outro was well done (good way to wrap up as the original is of course a loop) and I also liked the panning on some of the effects!

On 1/15/2022 at 12:00 PM, evktalo said:

A big fan of Star Control 2 here. So I enjoyed this! Fun crunchy sound. Is it so that 0:19-0:50 the harmony is a bit "richer" than the original? I really enjoyed that change!

The Orz samples unfortunately feel a bit "pasted on top" of the music. They jump out both sonically and rhythmically. They could be made to sit in the mix a bit more smoothly mixing-wise, which might be tough to do as both the voices and the music are quite rough. I understand the music is like this by design and I like it. Rhythmically the voices from the game I don't think ends up being very "musical" as it is. Maybe you could try cutting up the voice samples and try to align them to the music more rhythmically. Bits of it work good, like at 1:03 "we will have a happy party now", the "a happy party now" lines up with the music really nicely, though the "we will have" could still be massaged into the rhythm better.

In any case, this was really fun to listen to! The 3DO modulations are cool to bring along, the outro was well done (good way to wrap up as the original is of course a loop) and I also liked the panning on some of the effects!

Thank you very much for your comment!

Yes I made the part you are talking about richer with more melody-accompanying middle notes/chords.
As the original PC-version also has a similar "crunchy" sounding I find it to be very fitting and personally love the Amiga/lowres sound.

I understand what you mean with the voices, guess I could have flexed them more and could have worked out the general sound of them more, but I wanted to use them as original as possible and mixing is still a thing I am working on.

Anyway I am very happy you enjoyed it!  :)