Sands of Da'at ['Shin Megami Tensei V' Switch]

Black Ace

In November 2021, the fifth game in the "Shin Megami Tensei" series was released on the Nintendo Switch. I am a big fan of this series, so I could not pass by this wonderful game and its great soundtrack!
A DnB remix of Shinagawa theme, where I tried to recreate the original instruments and atmosphere - and to be honest, it wasn't easy. I hope you appreciate it.
And if you haven't played this game yet, I highly recommend it. I've beaten this game three times already :)

The mixing from my end seems fine. I think the the low end is a bit emptier than I'd like? Something about it really feels like it was held back in the name of it not overwhelming the soundfield and causing clipping. Which I 100% get. I think though it could have been a notch or two higher and really gave that low end hit without sacrificing the rest of the mix. I don't know how to EQ that well though so its beyond me on the how.

edit: oops, pressed submit early.

As far as the actual song goes though, I really love the chord progression and feel of it. I'm unfamiliar with the source so I am unable to judge it against the original but I liked jamming to this. You have a good sense on when to let us go from one section and push us to another before it gets monotonous. Even within the sections you add elements well enough to keep it fresh inside.  At around 4:30 you take it to another level of aggression by going more dubstep with a mini drop. I liked that and maybe I wanted more of it throughout? That's personal preference though. Anyway, this was so cool and I enjoyed listening from beginning to end even though I didn't know the original. In fact, I took two listens :)

Edited by HarlemHeat360

17 hours ago, HarlemHeat360 said:

The mixing from my end seems fine. I think the the low end is a bit emptier than I'd like? Something about it really feels like it was held back in the name of it not overwhelming the soundfield and causing clipping. Which I 100% get. I think though it could have been a notch or two higher and really gave that low end hit without sacrificing the rest of the mix. I don't know how to EQ that well though so its beyond me on the how.

edit: oops, pressed submit early.

As far as the actual song goes though, I really love the chord progression and feel of it. I'm unfamiliar with the source so I am unable to judge it against the original but I liked jamming to this. You have a good sense on when to let us go from one section and push us to another before it gets monotonous. Even within the sections you add elements well enough to keep it fresh inside.  At around 4:30 you take it to another level of aggression by going more dubstep with a mini drop. I liked that and maybe I wanted more of it throughout? That's personal preference though. Anyway, this was so cool and I enjoyed listening from beginning to end even though I didn't know the original. In fact, I took two listens :)

Thanks for such a detailed feedback! I hope I understood everything correctly (sorry for my English). Concerning the held of low frequencies - it is quite possible, since mastering and mixing are not my strong point... When mixing, I try to focus on the clarity, rather than the volume of the mix. What's more, the mixing this time was pretty damn difficult for me because of the flanger guitar part, which is full of noises literally everywhere. But - I'm learning and maybe someday I can mix better :)

About wanted more - ha! I wanted more too! :) I wanted to add a part with a distorted guitar power chords and a solo and I even tried, but... As I said, adding anything else to this mix without damaging the main melody was an impossible task for me... :( So I decided to stop on what is.

And about the original track - here it is: