Kikstart II remix (C64)

Nadin

Evaluation:

Happy to see you back with another post!

Your adaption feels perfect for the trance-like genre you chose here.  This feels like it would be good for an updated version of the game in the early 2000s.  The synths chosen are good and work well together.  Structurally it works, but unfortunately is very short.  It left me wanting more expansion and evolution when we get to the end.  Consider adding a contrasting B section before coming back to the source again with even more variation in the melody/patterns, that could help extend this out more.

Production issues to take note of:

• Lots of low end muddiness
  • Volume attenuation most likely being caused by a compressor or limiter especially when the large kicks come in (Like at 0:04 and 0:16).
  • Bass drops like 0:26 and 0:49 are also having volume attenuation (like above^).  As well as not feeling as glued together in the rest of the mix like all of the other parts are.
  • Upper synth arp isn't as clear as it could be due to the low end mud caused by the other parts.  I recommend using EQ to cut the high frequencies on low (bass-range) instruments, and cut low frequencies on high (melodic) instruments.  Often those ranges aren't used and just cause mud and lack of clarity when played with other parts.
  • 0:04 when the bass synth comes in that is the "melody" from the original source, i'm not feeling like it's supposed to be the main focus my ear is supposed to follow.  It's often buried in the mix.

All that said, this is really cool and I enjoyed the take on the source.  Definitely could make something awesome with this if you polish and refine the production issues and consider adding more to the track.

[This is an automatically generated message]

I've reviewed your remix and have returned it to Work-in-Progress status, indicating that I think there are some things you still need to work on. After you work on your track and feel that it's ready for submission to OCR, please change the prefix back to Ready for Review and someone will review it again. Good luck!

Thank you for the feedback! I'm glad you liked the adaptation. The length of the track was limited due to the contest's requirements, and the main focus was to keep the main melody almost identical to the original game's tune. However, I've been considering creating a longer version with more variations.

Regarding the mixing and mastering, it's true that it can be challenging. I tried using an online mastering tool this time, and in Cubase, I only adjusted the volume levels of individual instruments. I'll definitely try your suggestions and work on improving the mix and master. Thanks for the advice!

This style of music is quite new for me, and I don't listen to it much either. That's why I'm especially happy that both the audience and you enjoyed it! If I find some time this summer, I'll make some modifications and try to create a more refined version. Thanks again for your support and constructive feedback!