Sega GT 2002 'Night Ride' goes WipEout/Ridge Racer EDM

So I started this one yesterday. I recently hooked up my Xbox 360 again and started playing Sega GT Online, which contains the entire Sega GT 2002 soundtrack (along with some pretty meh new licensed tracks), and boy, have I forgotten how amazing this soundtrack is!

So I was playing the game with this particular track on repeat and felt super inspired to do a take on it:

I've been wanting to get better at EDM, and I could totally hear this track as a WipEout-style track, with shades of Ridge Racer in it, so here's my first WIP!

WIP 1: Off The Grid

This track will absolutely skew longer, but I'm going to do my absolute best to make sure it's interesting all the way through, and not just some repetitive 8 minute long nothing. I hope it's already clear that I plan for this track to completely evolve all the way through. I haven't even gotten to the super melodic part of the source track yet, which is my favourite section :)

Anyways, check it out and let me know what you think so far!

Edited by AkumajoBelmont
added tags

Oh nice, didn't realize we can embed music files like that now. Been a while since I was here, though. It's kinda bad for skipping to timestamps (in my current experience, at least).

But yeah, I really dig your choice of using a perc organ in your version, since it's a very nostalgic sound to me. But some of the sfx here (like at 0:29 and at 0:44) feel a bit too "hi-tech" to me, personally. Thus, they don't mesh well with the organ foundation. Would have preferred some brief soul-ish house vocals clips instead and maybe some brief sexy sax samples to spice things up even further. You could also sequence your synths in ways that feel soul-ish. Right now, it feels to me that you are making a piece that starts like a house track, but then it quickly loses its identity to trance elements (the snare fills don't feel house-ish enough for me, either).

The chord synths that show up at 2:42 onwards to support the groove are a nice addition. And so is the little triangle wave.

Also, holy shit: my browser returned to the previous page accidentally and I thought everything I wrote here was lost. Phew...

Edited by Tex
typo

4 hours ago, Tex said:

But yeah, I really dig your choice of using a perc organ in your version, since it's a very nostalgic sound to me. But some of the sfx here (like at 0:29 and at 0:44) feel a bit too "hi-tech" to me, personally. Thus, they don't mesh well with the organ foundation. Would have preferred some brief soul-ish house vocals clips instead and maybe some brief sexy sax samples to spice things up even further. You could also sequence your synths in ways that feel soul-ish. Right now, it feels to me that you are making a piece that starts like a house track, but then it quickly loses its identity to trance elements (the snare fills don't feel house-ish enough for me, either).

Thanks for the great feedback! I completely get where you're coming from. I dipped into some of my newer sound libraries for those... I think I'll have to dig into my older sample sets from waaay back to find some stuff that's more fitting.

That being said, I'm not going tooooo straight house. I want some of those Ridge Racer-ish japanese vibes to come through and have it be a bit of a blend, but we shall see how it turns out. 

Thanks again! :)