Troppe Houseland - Mario Kart 64

Ordonis

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1F1e5AWC7-tjQaf9tZcr0smOKCngdDrjv/view?usp=sharing

I've always loved Mario Kart 64 and specifically the Frappe Snowland music, but I always thought it would work better for a beach level. So I made it into a tropical house track featuring my man Toad on vox. Yahoo!

Edit: Got rid of louder flute-y sound on certain chord hits, which turned out to be weird harmonic resonance from the struck piano instrument I used. Put a different drum pattern in the Bass/Violin solo and dialed back the release of the violins to add clarity. Also peppered some drum fills throughout for interest. Thanks for the feedback, @Hemophiliac!

Edited by Ordonis
New song version

Evaluation:

I do like this arrangement even if it is more conservative.  I feel like there's enough going on with the arrangement to put this over the OCR bar. 1:29-1:33 is a very nice change-up and transition to the next section.

Where you might run into trouble is the production side of things.  The percussion is very dry with little to no reverb. 1:34-1:48 the string lead is very blurry and hard to make out the attacks of the notes because they run into each other and have slower attacks.  Consider changing that to another instrument or using a different string sample (one that has more accent or articulation on the attacks).

0:18, 0:22, 0:26, 0:30 have a high pitched instrument at the top of the chord that stands out a lot.  It's the flute-like sound on top of the chord.  It's standing out more than I think you want it to.  I'd recommend to reduce it's velocities in this opening section or consider using a little EQ to attenuate the top end of it so it's less harsh.

I'd also like to recommend more variation in the drum patterns, it's mostly the same without any drum fills after 0:32.  You do drop elements out here and there and reintroduce them, but that's minor variation.  Give us a change!  It would really help take the track to the next level.

Give some thought to my suggestions, I'd like to see where this can go.  Great start, very fun track!

[This is an automatically generated message]

I've reviewed your remix and have returned it to Work-in-Progress status, indicating that I think there are some things you still need to work on. After you work on your track and feel that it's ready for submission to OCR, please change the prefix back to Ready for Review and someone will review it again. Good luck!

Thank you for tagging me, had you not done that I would not have noticed this was updated.  In the future, make a reply in this thread stating that you have an update, that way the thread will get bumped up to the top and would let me know better that there was an update.  No harm, no foul though.

Evaluation:

Definite improvements over the initial version from what I recall.  Good job cleaning up the parts so they flow, and the production is much cleaner.

1:49- 1:56 there's something playing the melody very high up that's barely audible.  I suggest to bring that up in volume if you want people to hear it.  I barely caught that.

My only real suggestion elsewise would be to change something up on the back-half to really distinguish it from the first half. 1:57-2:27 is where I'm talking about.  I suggest to embellish the melody here or change up the which instrument is playing the lead here.  That could really help keep the listener's interest going.

Frankly this is very close to being done to me, nice work!  I'm returning it to WIP only because I feel that this could really make it to that next level with a few minor tweaks (look at the back-half change-up).

I've reviewed your remix and have returned it to Work-in-Progress status, indicating that I think there are some things you still need to work on. After you work on your track and feel that it's ready for submission to OCR, please change the prefix back to Ready for Review and someone will review it again. Good luck!

Here's the latest version: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rJzvtzgLJNNSXb0R_0-KWFAtlfpwxM8o/view?usp=sharing

I've boosted the volume of the two flutes playing the melody at 1:49, and changed the steel drum to a trumpet section to change up the back half. I also added some variation in the drum pattern in the back half, and did some overall EQ adjustments.

Made sure to grab this one to look at levels in DAW this time.

-4.54db is the max this track goes on peak.  Definitely room for more volume overall.  If you had cut some of the low end with EQ you can put some of it back in because there's a little space (1-2db) that you could probably fit in.

While I like the idea of switching the instrument up for the second half change, the trumpet section probably wasn't the right call.  It is sounding very unrealistic unfortunately, and that's a difficult thing to make sound good when so exposed as a lead instrument.  I suggest keeping it on something with a short attack (like how the steel drums had) or just to different synth lead.  Alternatively you could keep a synth brass sound for that lead if you make it obvious to the listener that you're not trying to sound real. 

Something I didn't notice on the first couple listens with regards to the brass section.  Sounds like it's clipping due to limiter in place cutting everything to -4.54db.

Again, just minor things to fix-up.  Really close to complete.

2:10 reverse sounding effect and 2:19/2:20 (I think it might be a clap) are clipping or are very close to clipping.

Now that the bass is boosted it needs some of it's top-end rolled off so it's not creating mud.

Aside from that you're done in my book.  I'm marking this as completed.  Nice work, I hope you are happy with the changes made and are feeling good about it.  :)

Edited by Hemophiliac

I've reviewed your remix and have set it to Completed status, indicating that I think your remix is ready to be submitted to the Judges Panel. Congratulations!

If you feel like you still need to work on your track and want more feedback, you can change the prefix back to Work-in-Progress and we'll go through the review process again.

If you decide to submit your track, please change the prefix to Submitted after sending your email. Thank you!