Chill Halloween Mix - 'Spectral Lover' Dead of the Brain - FM Towns

AkumajoBelmont

Trying to get this done in time to sub for Halloween! Not too spooky, but rather chill, ghostly and ethereal.

'Spectral Lover' WIP 2 

I found the source in a video on YouTube featuring the various ports of a visual novel game called Dead of the Brain. Not really my cup of tea generally, but the artwork and atmosphere is stunning. The OST however, particularly for the FM Towns port, is magnificent; classic 90s redbook audio if ever I heard it. This particular song caught my attention and I knew I wanted to do a ReMix of it instantly. Very basic, but with gorgeous chords and a simple but beautiful melody. 

I've elaborated on the source a lot. It was basically 4 tracks of instrumentation, so there was ample space to build on its very solid bones. Here it is:

Source: Dead of the Brain ~Shiryou no Sakebi~ FM Towns - Track 02

I've still got a ways to go with it. I need to add some breaks into the transitions.. you'll hear where it's lacking. I also need to work on the percussion more. I'll vary it up a bit more soon, and add some cymbals, because I haven't found the right one yet :P

I also need to work on the bass line in the major sections a LOT! It's next on my to-do list, for sure. I've also got some sub melodies and harmonies to add too, with some other effects, filter work & mixing.

I've put this together in two days so far, and I have a day and a half of being able to work on it before time runs out for me to submit in time for Halloween. Let me know what you think, and push me to the finish line! :)

Edited by AkumajoBelmont

Losing much of the bass movement at 1:30, that phrase doesn't cut through as well as it should.  I think the pad and the bass may be stepping on each other's toes and occupying too much of the same space.  That pad is absolutely gorgeous though.  The addition of the kick is also adding to the full muddiness in the low end too.

The piano that comes in late in the track (4:40-5:20) should definitely come through the mix more.  I do like the addition of the piano itself, it helps bring extra energy to that final climatic section. I'm also feeling like there's a lot missing in the higher frequencies in the mix, I know you occasionally have that FM bell synth come in but maybe it's not often enough?

I also agree about getting more percussive variation, I know you'll get to it in time.

Very lovely so far, can't wait to hear more!

Thanks for the reply Hemo! Yeah, the higher registers is a mix down flaw... I was screwing around with my Ozone master template (I tend to work it out on the fly and as I go along as a guide) and I cut the higher register too much! 

The bass frequencies I haven't even really paid attention to; it's basically there as a guide at the moment, and I think I will change the bass instrument completely. The M1 Fretless is nice, but yeah, I don't think it's the right fit, and it's a spectrum hog. I can't cut it without losing what makes it great, so new bass it shall be!

The Piano I also agree on. It was even softer earlier, but I'll definitely bring it through!

Thanks for the feedback! :)

'Spectral Lover' WIP 3

I've changed the Bass Line. Still needs some tweaking, but it's much less obtrusive now. The piano is also brought forward. I actually layered the piano I had with another, a really cool free Decent Sampler patch by called Reel to Reel Piano. It's very mid, low heavy, and gives it way more weight :)

It's also a lot crispier now.

Next up on my list, some stuff to add to the chorus sections. I'll probably do all the percussion stuff last, as I tend to fixate on the small stuff instead of the meat on the bones if I let myself, and I need to get this done!!! :P

First thing that jumps out to me is that the FM bells got too loud now.

I know you changed the bass instrument, but I'm still not quite feeling the movement come through as much as it should.  Those moving lines it has do seem that they should be an important focus of the piece (especially the small bends).

Watch the compression, during the final section it's feeling close to pumping which doesn't seem to be right for the overall feel of the track.