Donkey Kong Country 2: Hot-Head Bop - lava level (prog-rock rock version)

markshell

Hey everyone!

This is my version of the lava level song from Donkey Kong Country 2:

I went for an old-school, Pink Floyd-ish vibe but with a more modern production. Experimented with some synths and lush pads to put more depth to the usual rock guitar, bass and drums. I'm really happy with the results, hope you like it too! Please provide some feedback, it would be greatly appreciated!

Have a great one!

Edited by markshell
make title more interesting

• markshell changed the title to Donkey Kong Country 2: Hot-Head Bop - lava level (prog-rock rock version)

Production is very clean, dig it.  Vibe is very enjoyable.

I'd look at implementing some mod wheel or modulation of some kind on the synths when they play leads so they don't just stagnate after hitting their trigger.  They are fine as is now, it would definitely help them go to the next level.

2:54-3:03 nice original bridge to transition back to the head.

0:55-1:04 and 3:21-3:37 both get very full and are approaching muddy.  While they are brief sections, see if there's anything you could do to clean them up some.  I'm guessing it's a wash of reverb on the pads that's causing it.

Double check that you don't have clipping going on too, I suspect there may be some at 0:55 or it's a compression/limiter artifact.  Unfortunately I'm unable to download the audio file from YouTube to check it in DAW.

Arrangement is solid, production issues are minor and can be fixed.  I'd like to see this with the tiny bit of clean-up and then submitted as it's very close to done IMO, for now I'm placing it back to WIP.

[This is an automatically generated message]

I've reviewed your remix and have returned it to Work-in-Progress status, indicating that I think there are some things you still need to work on. After you work on your track and feel that it's ready for submission to OCR, please change the prefix back to Ready for Review and someone will review it again. Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...