Butt(rock)ville, Earthworm Jim (Buttville/The Descent) - Some Tallarico genius

cooliscoolio

• cooliscoolio changed the title to Butt(rock)ville, Earthworm Jim (Buttville/The Descent) - Some Tallarico genius

Hats are strangely panned left, and are very hot.  Bring them closer to center and reduce their volume some.  Drums really could use a lot of variation in their patterns and drum fills could help with general track interest.  Balance between the parts feels pretty far off, with the orch hits being quiet and the drums being loud.

I'm hearing the bass from The Decent slowed down.  There's some small interpretation going on due to that, cool.

Fade out ending doesn't work for me, and there's about 2 and a half minutes of silence after that.

Give the listener something to follow and focus on, we can latch onto that and keep interest throughout the song.

Good luck.

I need to get some better speakers or headphones; I am mixing with some quite pathetic headphones, whose shortcomings I'm surely compensating for in the mix. Spatially and tonally. 

And yeah, it's the descent's fantastic bassline, one of the first things I learned to play on piano as a child.  In the key of G# minor instead of D major, here, though. :)

I'll enddavor to get some better equipment. Arrangement wise, indeed, this is a WIP. I threw it together in about 3 hours, and I thought the octave'd stab arp was such a magical moment of playing (I record one-shot, and I don't use arpeggiators or quantization algorithms, appreciating the nuance that comes from a performance - as you put it, human touch), and the tone from the respective synth's LFO envelope was so rich, so I had to post it so early. Next post will be a major revision, and hopefully the ever scrutinizing and high quality hemophiliac will approve. Hehe.

Edited by cooliscoolio

ignore previous post, bad file. Still compositionally constipated, aurally awful and sonically sinful, but its on the way to becoming some serious Tallarico Tango - a stabby, arpy dance jam. The bassline from Buttville is such a versatile and timeless progression, rhythm, st al, that it fills me with ideas. Just an update for the record. It slams pretty hard when played LOUD, even as imperfect & impotent much still is. It contains many errors outright, but is coalescing, I mean to say, in so many puns. 

Edited by cooliscoolio