FF4 'Cry in Sorrow'

avaris

I'm sure everyone has that favorite song from that favorite game, well this is def mine. The source tune is cry in sorrow, you can check it out over at vgmusic.com. For my knowledge this has never been remixed before.

Update

http://swallace21.googlepages.com/KainsDeciet.mp3

What I used:

fl studio6

battery 2

vanguard vst for all the synths except 1 (it has a build in trance gate effect that I used alot)

absynth for the small atmospheric pad in the first section

Kompakt for the bass and piano

• 2 weeks later...

I'm listening to V2, so hopefully that's the right version.

The piano is pretty cool. I like how it sounds kind of distant, if that makes any sense. That lead that comes in at :30 sounds like it moves in and out of being in tune, though, and starts to get more and more ahead of the beat as it goes on. The synth that comes in immediately after that is a little too promenent and also sounds a little bit out of tune with everything else...either way, you might want to push it tp more on the high end so it doesn't bleed over some of the other stuff going on. You also could use a more promenent bass part and probably use to tone down the bass kick drum a little.

It sounds like you change things up a little bit towards the middle, which is good. I like that short piano break at around 2:00 and think you should do more of that kind of stuff to let people's ears rest from that synth with the gating effect. You might want to have a section where you change up the percussion and do something different with that lead synth or just rearrange what's playing what just to mix it up a little more.

I agree what you said about the high end and think some EQing different instruments to different frequencies so there's a broader range of frequencies could help the sound of the mix a lot. But I do also think you need to mess with the arrangement some more so that every part doesn't have the same sound and instruments playing. Especially do something with that gated synth so it doesn't just play the same rhythm all the time.

There are some cool things there (like the piano) and I do like what you have, but I think you could definitely could do a lot more and be more creative overall.

Oh cool thanks dude I gave up on anyone commenting on this. There are some other things I did in here you coulda ripped me a new one for. ;) But yeah I totally agree with a lot of stuff you said.

I have an updated version, that sound way cleaner and much more professional, but I gotta go back and redo all my volume levels so everything sits right. I also fixed the high end problem too. I rolled off alot of the lower freq from everything, and then redid the entire drum kit and it took care of the problem.

I'll also def try to change the rythm on the gated synth at some point during the song. I also have ideas in mind on how to give one section a new flavor that will spice up the song more.

And also I need to find another element or something to put in here to really put it over the top, that's the only part I haven't come up with anything yet...

I won't be post the update until i got all the new stuff implemented, hopefully that'll be sooner rather than later. Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

EDIT: maybe some granulzied choir patches to replace the gates in a section would be nice...hmmm maybe.

Hey Avaris...your comment about using your media player to gauge frequencies--that's not the best way to judge that. :P There are two great free spectrum analyzers I know of you should try instead.

Voxengo SPAN

http://www.voxengo.com/product/SPAN/

(Voxengo has tons more excellent free plugs too.)

or, Roger Nichols Digital Inspector

http://www.rogernicholsdigital.com/inspector.htm

Just a heads up. :D I love this source tune, it's fairly close to my heart...so I'll hold off till you've got it more developed before commenting.

I don't have the other version right here to compare it to but this does definitely sound like an improvement, especially in the second section. I'd still try to break out of using that gated synth so much and maybe try to change up the feel on the percussion in one or two of the sections so that rhythm in the main part isn't so dominant. In general, the percussion also feels kind of thin to me. It works for awhile as it is but I feel like it needs to be beefier to carry the whole mix.

Anyway, these are just random observations and I do definitely think you've improved the mix already so take them for what they're worth.