Need recommendations for a new studio setup

Howdy OCR,

So after 10+ years of faithful service, my desktop and dedicated soundcard need replacement. I picked up a solid laptop on sale at CostCo but of course, the only audio output is a 1/8" jack.

My previous setup used an audiophile 192 soundcard which had six breakout cables with 1/4" connections. This allowed me to go from an analog mixing board to the computer for processing in FL studio, then back into the mixing board via a separate 2-track (L/R) circuit which then would go to my speakers/headphones.

Since I'm using a new computer entirely now, I wanted to know if there is some sort of magic box utility thing that could accomplish the same. See attached for what I'm looking for.

My budget is around $200 but since I already have a good mixer, something small and cheap would be preferable especially if it connects via USB.

Thanks!

dreamsetup.jpg

Yup. It's called an audio interface, and you have a whole lot of options: https://www.sweetwater.com/c695--USB_Audio_Interfaces?sb=popular&params=eyJmYWNldCI6eyJQcmljZSBSYW5nZSI6WyIkMTAwIHRvICQyMDAiXX19

How many instruments and mics you trying to record at once? Depending on your needs, you may even be able to just ditch your mixer entirely, since most of these have separate outputs and volume knobs for both headphones and speakers.

Edited by Flexstyle

The most I record simultaneously is three input lines when I play my hollowbody electric guitar so I don't think I can get rid of my mixer for recording. I use 2 mics for the acoustic space, one line for the electric pickup, and then combine both the acoustic and electric signals which results in what sounds like two different guitars playing together simultaneously.

Maybe this is a silly approach, but since the three inputs are ultimately reduced down into a L and R signal and fed into the DAW, I pan the acoustic signal entirely to one side with the electric signal panned to the other. Once I have the two independent signals on the L and R channels respectively (now both in mono), I then set up two completely separate tracks/FX for them in the DAW and then invert the panning so they're centered (more or less) and in stereo but with each "stage" having their own unique processing chain.

Looking at some of the less expensive interfaces with two channels (like this one https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/OnyxProd22--mackie-onyx-producer-2-2-usb-audio-interface), I'm left wondering: will the signal going into the interface get processed by the computer before going to the outputs for listening? Or will the signal coming in from the mixer just go directly to the outs regardless of the USB connection?

You might be looking for an audio interface (which is some kind of a professional sound card unit for music production).

The big advantages of an audio interface over a standard sound card are:

1) high sound quality and accurate, truthful sound and frequency response
2) high functionality and much more connection possibilities depending on the interface and your budget (like several connections for instruments, microphones, headphones, studio monitor speakers, USB and MIDI connections)
3) improved latency (no big delays at live recordings of voice and instruments) and much better DAW performance
4) Since audio interfaces are improved sound cards, you won't need to buy and upgrade soundcards anymore.
A current audio interface might still be good for music production (or just for listening to music, gaming and cinematic experiences) in 20 years.
5) With external audio interfaces you're kinda independent.
New system software, new PC - usually no problem.
Just install audio interface drivers, connect the audio interface via plug & play and it will usually work with most other PC systems.

I would rather save some money for your future audio interface, because it will have a big impact on your possibilities as a musician or maybe even as a whole band.
And I would always recommend an audio interface with a good separate current supply, one that doesn't come from standard USB connection 'cause it might also affect the sound quality and audio definition - I experienced this phenomenon when using headphones at two different audio interface models of the same series: Steinberg UR22 (USB current supply) and Steinberg UR44 (separate current supply), where the Steinberg UR44 provides a better bass, mid-range and high frequency definition (and I still think it's because of the better current supply).

If you just need some connections for instruments or microphones as a solo musician or a smaller band, I'd go for the Steinberg UR44:
https://www.musicstore.com/en_US/USD/Steinberg-UR44-/art-PCM0012773-000

If need even more connections for a bigger band for just a few more bucks, have a look at the Tascam US 16x08:
https://www.thomann.de/gb/tascam_us_16x08.htm?shp=eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiZ2IiLCJjdXJyZW5jeSI6NCwibGFuZ3VhZ2UiOjJ9&reload=1

Both models are excellent Japanese technology - you can't go wrong with them and they might last for some decades.

PS:

I wouldn't bother too much with separate hardware mixing consoles these days.
They take lots of space for work you can easily do with your DAW software or with a nice multifunctional MIDI keyboard, which has a separate mixer unit and lots of other stuff like programmable drum pads, buttons, knobs, faders, transport console.

Nowadays there are many good multifunctional allround MIDI keyboards that aren't really expensive:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/m_audio_oxygen_49_mk5.htm

Edited by Master Mi

Master Mi is on a good track with the 4-input Steinberg unit. I will caution that the Steinberg units have been iffy under Windows, with weird dropouts (I own a UR12 and a friend owns a UR22 and we've both had issues). 

4 hours ago, 100_PERCENT ROEMER said:

I'm left wondering: will the signal going into the interface get processed by the computer before going to the outputs for listening? Or will the signal coming in from the mixer just go directly to the outs regardless of the USB connection?

That Mackie unit has a knob on the front that will let you either monitor exactly what's going into the unit, or will let you hear what's coming from your DAW, or a mix of both. That's the MIX knob. Most interfaces have them, just under different names sometimes.

From the description of how you're using your mixer, I really don't think you need it. You can get an audio interface that will let you track three individual lines quite easily instead. Here's a Behringer unit that allows for up to four separate inputs and it's under your budget constraint: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UMC404HD--behringer-u-phoria-umc404hd-usb-audio-interface

Best of luck!

Thanks for the info and recommendations (and warnings)! I already have a good analog mixer and it doesn't cost me anything to keep using it, so I'll probably just go with an inexpensive interface to add in between the mixer and PC for now to see how it performs.

Thanks again for your help!