Help! My Guitar/Bass Tone Sucks!

Hi everyone!

Last night, I held a live webinar on YouTube about dialing in mix-ready guitar and bass tones for your remixes. You can find the VOD below:

VSTi and VSTs from the Webinar, also in the video description:

(not all were used in the webinar; all plugins listed below were curated for this webinar based on their quality and price - they're all free!)

Guitar:

Bass:

Amp Sims:

Pedal VSTs:

Edited by pixelseph

Nice one. ))

Without seeing the whole video with the length of over 4 hours, I would say the following things are crucial to bring some VSTi/VST-based electric guitar magic in the soundtrack:

1) a realistic electric guitar VSTi with a good amount of faithful articulations/playing techniques
2) a nice electric guitar and bass amp VST simulation that features lots of settings and effects
3) a good understanding of electric guitars and performing special guitar techniques in the DAW (so, everything about the technical things going on when playing a real electric guitar and how to translate it with all your DAW tools like the electric guitar VSTI interface, the MIDI editor and further plugins)
4) and lots of mixing experience

On the other side, even a real electric guitar in the mix can sound like a Goomba stuck in the sewage pipe if the guitar has bad pickups, you stole the fishy guitar amp from a grumpy octopus at the bottom of the shore or your playing and mixing skills just passed the toddler difficulty.

During this week in the first part of my summer holiday I also tried to implement a nice clean electric guitar into my coming Crisis Core remix composition - and I got pretty much inspired by the soundtrack "Everytime We Touch" by Maggie Reilly:

For the clean electric guitar that I've played more or less via MIDI keyboard in my DAW, I might have to do some work concerning timing and articulation.
But it already sounds like something I'd definitely go for in the coming remix version.

Here's a short audio sample of my early results:

You might turn up the volume a bit because I uniformly master my soundtracks at EBU R 128 loudness standard at around - 23 dB (LUFS).

Edited by Master Mi

7 minutes ago, pixelseph said:

Are you sure you didn’t watch the video yet? You just covered basically all of the video in your summary! 😂

Guess I had a good nose for some of the most illuminating 15 minutes of the video, skipping through the whole video content like a passionate and fiercely investigating hobby detective. ;D