*NO* Pinball Fantasies "DJ Sofad Mix"

this is a pretty hip original.

this kind of offset between the ears is something that you never want to see in a track waveform:

image.png.af74f23056a290c7aba04d776e099298.png

separately this is also not good:
image.thumb.png.5a3480d739c2e62d10b4390b17ecbdb0.png

so this is essentially a guaranteed NO right now. but i can at least review it to talk through what's good and what's not so good.

the opening elements would be neat if they were balanced between ears, but the sharp tone in the left ear is far too much. overall it's panned really hard which makes it hard to hear what's going on until it comes more centerline by about 0:37. i wound up just changing it to mono to be able to hear what was going on. the various synths are doing really disjointed things for at least the first thirty seconds - i honestly don't know what's going on in there nor can i parse what each instrument is doing. if you're attempting to ape what the opening minute is in the original, i don't think it worked.

by about 0:55, it's more balanced and there's a recognizable riff going on alongside the continuing sharp left-ear synth. i believe this is the bass riff from 2:43, but i didn't hear anything else that was fitting around that area - no melodic line, none of the rhythmic elements, etc. this continued until the woobly synth from the beginning came back in at 1:41 and did stuff that i didn't understand again. some other synths that were off-key came in after this (like at 1:52) - this doesn't sound like functional dissonance, it sounds like incorrect notes.

this section continued for most of the track and then ended suddenly, and the track was done after 10s of silence.

from an arrangement perspective, it's not super clear what you're doing here. it sounds like you're hoping to work with the track in the original that starts at 2:43, but the lack of percussive elements or other strong rhythmic elements outside the bassline and the constant dissonances alongside the very loud, sharp lead tones really make it hard to pick out anything cohesive from your arrangement. i honestly recommend stripping this one back to the bolts and building it back up one element at a time. i'm honestly curious if this is a misrender and some elements were supposed to be percussive but didn't get the instrument assignments or something.

from a mastering perspective, the hard panning and wild volumization across the board makes this borderline unlistenable. you're going to want to take a lot more time with managing the individual elements before resubmitting.

NO

WOW what a piercy sound right off the bat, ouch.  When does it stop?  Never, it seems.  Whatever this is, I'm seeing an RMS value of -3.0db RMS which is crazy CRAZY loud mastering.  I don't see it clipping (looking at SPAN with "true peak" unselected);  it is limited at 0db but it stays there nearly the entire time, causing that crazy small RMS value.

I'm not even going to try to sort out how this remix relates to the original.  Is it too conservative or too liberal, I can't even tell.  Unfortunately this soundscape is completely unlistenable to me.  The arrangement is completely repetitive due to the same instruments and writing, the samples are terrible and way too loud, the writing is very random and unstructured, and there is nothing melodic or motivic to anchor the piece for the listener at all.  Definitely more work required here!

NO

Yeah, just hopping in for a quick co-sign with the judges above - this is a very interesting sound design experiment and I would encourage you to keep trying things like this, but it doesn't come together into a listenable final result for a couple of reasons that have already been broken down. I'd  love to see you take some of these ideas and really work on the songwriting and production components behind it,  but as it stands, this feels like an experiment that needs a lot more time workshopping before it's ready to stand alone as a solo piece.

NO

• Emunator changed the title to *NO* Pinball Fantasies "DJ Sofad Mix"
  • Emunator locked this topic