*NO* Chrono Trigger 'Forest Refuge'

Liontamer

Remixer Names: The Vagrance, JustChris

Email: ccricers@gmail.com (I don't know Vagrance's, I might contact him later)

Game: Chrono Trigger

Song: Secret of the Forest

Comments:

Hey, I haven't made one of these emails in a long time.

JustChris here, with my first submission in two years. I'm kinda on-and-off on the remixing community lately, but you can also look forward to my remix from Summoning of Spirits when it finally goes "gold". Anyways, on to the mix.

This may be another Chrono Trigger remix, but in my few years around the remixing neighborhood I haven't seen anyone attempt the Guardia Forest theme, until Doomsday (now called The Vagrance) gave it a shot in July. I liked the idea, thought it could benefit greatly if I gave him some help, and it turned into a full-on collaboration between the two. Being the first collab for both of us we hit a lot of snags along the way, and then for sometime it was put on freeze and then back to work again. But it's finally complete.

The Vagrance supplied and arranged most of the beats and some synths, and I added a few more synths and the rest of the melodic instruments. All right, just enjoy the song I guess.

Song is attached by email; I haven't had proper hosting lately.

• 3 weeks later...

heh..havent heard that roland airy flute sample for a while. sounds dated these days.

Yikes, after about 1:45 there's lots of crunch. check your levels..that amount of distortion isn't okay. there are some decent textures, but the arrangement tends to go from too dense and muddy to too sparse. I also think the beats could afford to be louder.

This has good going for it, like i said, some of the textures are great. Fix up that distortion, and pay attention to the soundfield. try to identify when the frequencies are too packed and get muddy. subtract to clean.

NO

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=ct - "Secret of the Forest" (ct-1-11.spc)

CC Ricers was definitely a better name, for the record. JustChris = n00b. Doesn't affect the decision, but there you go.

That intro is sweeeeeet. Love those swirly sounds. Gave way to some overly loud instrumentation at :10. Damn yo, scale it back. Some of the sounds are kind of lackluster on their own (Vig nailed it with that flute), but the textures are good and things are produced to have a thick soundscape. Things are just too loud and compressed.

Worst example of it was when 1:38-2:39 was distorting and clipping to a disgusting degree. Not in a "I spit on this way", just a "DAYUM, wtf???" way. Guys, what are you listening to this on? You guys didn't pick up on any of this before sending it in? Check it on some headphones.

On the arrangement side, things were good on the whole, though conservative. Can't tell if those breakbeats are loops, but they get old after a while, plus they're not properly positioned in the track like Vigilante alluded to. Didn't like whatever the lead was at 3:29, too rigidly sequenced. Once the beats picked up again at 3:41, the distortion was absurd again. :'-(

Good job so far bros, but take Vigilante's advice, SERIOUSLY rethink the production and send it back.

NO (resubmit)

Great atmosphere. However, the mixing needs some serious work, and I'd definetly think about replacing that flute sample in the section starting at 1:17. The way it phrases those melodic lines sounds really awkward and distracting.

This mix has a lot going for it, but the muddiness/distortion is holding it back. I'd love to hear a resubmit of this track, cuz I actually like the concept and the groove is soothing.

NO, RESUBMIT