Twisted Systerz, DW4 remix, Completely different EQ, mastering, and other added stuff.

I actually did alot of adjustment on the mix...I installed SPAN and Youlean Loudness meter...those are eye opening plugins, and they're free! I was trying to use Fruity PEQ 2 to do the same thing, I also watched a provided video about reference tracks before tweaking the song. I adjusted the volume, splitting the difference between 11 to 12 RMS, and 13 to 14 LUFS I also (think) I had luck with having in the same project a full mix file running parallel to stems of bass, drums, and instruments. I added a sub bass instrument with strong transients and a pumper effect, as well as a couple other sprinklings here and there. 

With these adjustments, this version passed the "car test", whereas the previous version didn't sound good in the car...which I didn't find out until after my most recent submission to the judges panel.

Edit: I used Mega --Man 3 OC ReMix by MkVaff: "Snake Man (Pulse Mix)"-- for my reference track for the bass and leads...I still have the cymbals more present in my mix...I really like how they sound...

Why don't my exports sound the same as when I play the project in my DAW? Is there a setting I can change?! The project sounds better, more bass, less treble. I had this problem back in the day, and I actually made an eq preset to compensate. Looks like I might have to do that again. I did take the high pass filter off of this render, but I feel as though it still sounds unbalanced.

Edited by Audiomancer

WAV, FLAC, and MP3 all have the same deviation in sound. This version here is a 44.1 320 mp3 file. I just looked, and I'm using FL studio ASIO. I remember having to use that instead of ASIO4ALL v2...I think I was having glitchy sound with that one. Perhaps I'll try ASIO4ALL again. Thanks for the response!

This definitely sounds really good (I was bobbing my head HARD during that last chorus), but I would say it's still quite treble-heavy.  I also think the "ear candy" bits in the climax of the song aren't quite present enough in the mix, although I can still hear them clearly. But at the end of the day, I'm listening on 60 dollar Bluetooth headphones, so make of that what you will.

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy, Audiomancer!

The mix is pretty damn good! It sounds like you've been paying attention to the production-related feedback from the judges.

With that being said, I feel disappointed by the arrangement. Your drum writing is solid, particularly on the fills and transitions. The drop into a softer segment around the 1:00 mark is a smart choice and communicates a build into something interesting...

But the filter sweep into the plucky B section melody without any beat to drive it forward costs your track all the momentum built up from the drop. It sort of meanders its way back to a recap of the A section material -- with some new approaches to the A section material, to be sure -- but there's a huge missed opportunity in the B section.

If you like your approach with that bit of material, you could repurpose it into a new intro segment to your arrangement -- optionally, keep this B section segment in its current place as well, but incorporate a beat in half-time feel underneath it with those shuffled hats from the build. Or, you could cut this segment entirely and build right back to the A section recap. The point is your track loses a lot of steam around 1:25 and the recap at 2:04 suffers for it.

You've made some great progress with this one; keep it up!

Another edit, I think I managed to make it sound more "airy" instead of "sizzle". I think this one is panel ready. critiques welcome as always.

Had to use a link, can't upload mp3's anymore, allowed file size is reduced.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dNuwRksFqhsx9PINO8XS6Y9r9r4a5egi/view?usp=sharing

Edited by Audiomancer