Samples and such

Cerrax

I have quite a situation on my hands that I need help with.

In my earlier days, I used a program called MTV Music Generator, which used only sampled instruments. That meant no drum kits. Each piece of percussion was it's own channel. In that channel was one sample that was located on middle C. Going above or below middle C changed the pitch accordingly. I got very used to this method of drum sequencing and the flexibility it gave me with the samples allowed me to create sounds that I can't create now.

Now I use Logic Express 7. All the drums are collected into various drum kits. This means no more pitch variation on individual pieces of percussion. Each key on the piano roll is a different instrument, and their pitch can't be changed without altering the entire drum kit (via a pitch shifting effect). Of course I could create a separate track for each part of the kit, but then I stilll have to use a pitch shifter to acheive the effect I want.

Logic 7 has a sample player built-in, called the EXSP 24. It says that you can load individual wav and aiff files into it, as well as giga, samplecell, sf2, dls, and akai. But I can't figure out how to load wav files ijnto the damn thing.

Basically I want to load a single sample onto the piano roll so I can run it up and down the scale. I have several samplers, none of which I can get to work.

Logic's EXSP 24 confuses me, and I don't know how to load the sample.

Native Instruments' Kontakt also confuses me, as I don't know how to load it into that one either.

Sonic's Sample Tank 2 crashes every time I attempt to load a sample.

I always have Polyphontics SoundFont creator, but then I lose the control and flexibility of a sample player.

If anyone can either help me get these ones to work, or point me in the direction of a free (or cheap) sampler that works on OS X 10.4, I would be eternally grateful.

Native Instruments' Kontakt also confuses me, as I don't know how to load it into that one either.

I think EXS should be even easier, but in Kontakt, what you do is this:

Start the plugin. On the righthand side, you see "KONTAKT_DEF" (which is the default multi and doesn't do anything yet - it's empty).

In the "Files" tab on the left, navigate to your folder with samples.

Once you see the samples in there (I suppose plain .wav would do) click on one, hold your mouse button down, and drag it to the right hand side. That's all there is to "loading" - you drag and you drop. Importing stuff is trickier, but just try .wav or .aiff files for starters.

A new preset with the name of the sample is created.

Set the MIDI Ch to OMNI, or "Port A (From Host)". This means that the MIDI channel Kontakt is set on is linked to Kontakt.

Play.

If you click the wrench icon and then the Mapping editor", you see a big blue rectangle with the name of your sample. The basics are very simple - horizontal means that it's stretched out over several keys with a moving pitch (provided that the "Tracking" button is highlighted), vertical means that it's stretched out over several velocities - e.g, you can trigger another sound if you hit the keys harder.

Sonic's Sample Tank 2 crashes every time I attempt to load a sample.

Obviously because it hates your guts. No, just kidding - download a demo of Ableton and see if it crashes there, too.

Haha! Another problem I had - and yet another error in the manual.

The exsp24 (note the "p") cannot load individual wavs or aiffs. Yes, it does lead you to believe it can in the manual. It is wrong.

Logic 7 Express: exsp24

Logic 7 Pro: exs24

The exs24 CAN load wavs and aiffs and even make exs files out of them. The exsp24 cannot.

frusteratin' ain't it?

yeah, EXSP rendered my personal collection of individual samples useless, which is why i complemented Logic Express with RMIV.

the easiest solution is probably to put the pitchy-parts on a separate track, and user the 'Pitcher' to assign pitch to velocity.

then you just modify the velocity of the notes to change the pitch to what you want.

that still won't allow you to load in external samples, but if you already have Kontakt, well.. learn to use it!

Thanks everyone for your help.

I had read about the differences between the EXSP and the EXS and I was afraid that would be the case. Apparently, LE 7 is the first LE that uses the EXSP instead of the EXS. Bummer.

I'll have to try Kontakt. It sounds extremely simple so I feel really stupid for asking, but at least now I know!

As for Sample Tank, I'm not that worried about it. It wiould be great if I could get it to work, but I've heard that IK's stuff isn't really that great anyway.