*NO* Sonic the Hedgehog 3 'Eternal Tundra'

Liontamer

Yes, it's an M4A. Pretty beginner-ish, but some observable rearrangement ideas worth some feedback - LT

Hi, this is TheBoggart submitting a remix of Icecap Zone from Sonic The Hedgehog 3.

----------------------------------------

We don't take submissions in M4A format, only MP3. Please keep that in mind when submitting.

http://project2612.org/download.php?id=61 - IceCap Zone 1

Opened up with some basic beats. Decent energy there, but the beatwork was pretty sparse, repetitive, and vanilla-sounding. Still a decent opener. Good unexpected shift in dynamics at :59; whereas it seemed like the energy was going to ratchet up, things calmed down to the synths and keyboard and escalated again reaching the IceCap melody at 1:28.

Too bad there was no meaningful interpretation of the IceCap theme once things kicked in. Some nice ideas for the supporting instrumentation, but nothing creative on that level with the melody.

Goes back to the liberal stuff from 1:58-2:25. Very repetitive A-B-A-B (original-arrangement-original-arrangement) structure from section to section; things never picked up on the interpretive side after 1:28.

You need more involved beatwork and comprehensive textures, plus you need to do more with the melodic arrangement to distinguish it from the original. Though not close to the bar, this isn't bad for a first try.

NO

• 1 month later...

Not bad. I kind of enjoy the opening synthwork. The fill at :58 sounded kind of... bleh. Just sounded really messy. Seems to kick into "autopilot mode" shortly after. Especially when the melody kicks in fully at about 1:28. 1:58 kind of goes back to the opening vibe, what with the pedaled bass note and all. The 3rd note of the actual Ice Cap riff seems like theres some bad notes clashing with each other in the arrangement. Doesn't leave a pleasant taste in the ears.

I guess after hearing this song so much recently, one could say my senses have become "recapitated" :)

That is to say, this track has received a lot of love. And just like Valentine's day, when the standard gets set to a certain point, it's never good to buy your gal a Diamond necklace one year, and then get her a generic card and some sampler chocolates the next year. Basically, this track has some strong remixes to live up to. Would have been gold in 2000-2002.

Not a bad sub, but not quite up to OCR-par.

NO

On a separate note, perhaps someone should start an OCR2000 site, where all the mixes that "would have made it back then" could rest. ;)

As I have said many times before, an Icecap submission to OC comes against some very stiff competition indeed, and so the bar for an Icecap sub is going to be high. This has some repetitive beats, and the interpretation isn't really as original as it could have been. This is very cookie cutter with not much else added. Not bad for a first submission but needs a lot more.

NO